Role Model | Teen Ink

Role Model

February 9, 2015
By Anonymous

In today's society celebrities are often looked upon as role models. Everyone likes to have a person to look up to and draw inspiration from. However, what many of us do not think about or realize is that sometimes we put those people (celebrities) up so high that if they make a mistake, they fall inexplicably low. This makes it hard for them to redeem themselves, and even harder for us to accept them for the new person they have become.

A good example of this type of celebrity is Miley Cyrus. As she acted on Hannah Montana, adults and their children rose her to a high standard. They wanted her to grow up and continue being that role model for their kids, and other generations to come. They had not expected her to tear down her image (intentionally or not) and become the opposite of the iconic Hannah Montana. This goes to show that we put too much pressure on celebrities to be good role models, whereas if they were and average "Joe" we would not care as much if they fell.

Today's society has made standards that are unlivable for anybody. They have set these standards upon those with great power, mostly celebrities. The undeniable truth is that the higher we place these people, the lower and harder they fall. We should take care to realize what type of person we expect them to be, and allow for that person to grow and make mistakes.


The author's comments:

This was written for my English class.