I Don't Want to be Me Anymore | Teen Ink

I Don't Want to be Me Anymore

By glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California
glitzygurl PLATINUM, Menlo Park, California

Currently, the media plays a huge part in our lives. Lately, more and more people have been reportedly spending thousands of dollars to get cosmetic surgery to look like their celebrity idol.

For example, London resident Claire Leeson spent $30,000 on plastic surgery to look like the infamous Kim Kardashian. She stated she had been bullied in school and being “Kimmy” made her feel unstoppable. This girl didn’t want to just be like her, she wanted to be her.

Mikki Jay spent $16,000 to look like Michel Jackson even though she’s a woman.
Nileen Namita paid $360,000 to look like Queen Neffertiti of Egypt. She believed she was Queen Nefertiti, even though she existed during the 14th Century BC. The 49 year old suffered through 51 surgeries.
Donna Marie Trego spent over 60,000 euros on plastic surgery to look like Lady Gaga.
A 30-year old from Texas thought she looked like Jennifer Lawrence so she spent $25,000 to look even more like her.

And of course, most people have probably heard of Toby Sheldon, the 33 year old who spent over $130,000 in an effort to look like Justin Bieber. “I would say I’m like 80 percent happy," the 33-year old confesses. "I do think I can be one hundred percent happy if I just invest more time, effort and money into the face. I'm addicted to plastic surgery." (eonline.com)

As psychiatrist Dr. Carole Lieberman told Yahoo, "Consciously or unconsciously, people think that if they look like a particular celebrity, it will bring them the power that a celebrity has, the power to attract people, to be a heartbreaker, to have guys or girls swooning over them.” (yahoo.com)

Honestly, there are probably dozens of people who have had plastic surgery to look like their favorite celebrity, or even the queen of Egypt. The truth is that in today’s society, celebrities have super powers, and some people feel more confident if they look like someone who is considered “beautiful.” It’s sad, but people are insecure with their lives, and they believe that “becoming” Kim Kardashian or whoever will solve all their problems. I understand that some people want to be more beautiful or famous, but why would you want to “be” someone else? Are you, yourself really that bad, that you have to become someone else to achieve perfection?

I hope people will realize that everyone is unique and you don't have to look like someone else to feel good about yourself.