The Queens Aren’t Barbies?? | Teen Ink

The Queens Aren’t Barbies??

September 15, 2014
By TwirlingLiz BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
TwirlingLiz BRONZE, Highlands Ranch, Colorado
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

When most people hear the word ‘pageants’, they immediately think of five year-old girls dressed up in little sparkly pink dresses, covered in layers upon layers of make-up with pounds of hairspray in their hair. Others think of a girl who can only say, “Let’s save the poor hungry children of Africa and have world peace.” Even more think of instances where college age girls provide answers that would make kindergarteners cringe, and raise questions regarding the intelligence level of these college educated women. The Honey Boo Boo types that are propped up to represent pageants do not reflect true pageant girls. They are the minority that people just love to point out.


As a participant in the Miss America Program, I find more girls like me, a student taking 5 AP classes who doesn’t ever cake on the make-up, and hates using hairspray. I am a proud titleholder in the Miss America system, and believe that everyone deserves to know the truth about “pageant girls”. We are strong, intelligent, goal oriented women who use our talents to help earn scholarship money to further our personal career goals, and serve as role models to young girls.


One great example of a true pageant girl is Miss America 1989, Gretchen Carlson. She graduated from Stanford with honors, and even studied at Oxford. She is an amazing violinist who used that talent to win scholarship money to help her pay for college. (Our Miss Americas). This Miss America is also the host of her own television show, The Real Story with Gretchen Carlson, not too bad for someone who is supposed to be a Barbie doll. Gretchen also serves on the Miss America Board showing that she truly loves and appreciates everything that the Miss America System helped her to accomplish. (Our Miss Americas).


Wondering what about the Miss America system inspired Gretchen to achieve all these goals in her life and exemplify the true persona of a pageant queen? Gretchen’s life has exhibited the four points of the crown: style, scholarship, service, and success. Style is the point most people normally associate with pageants because of the drama queens shown on programs like Toddlers and Tiaras. However, the style Miss America looks for isn’t the make-up and hairspray, but the grace, eloquence, and confidence exhibited by the women who compete. These qualities are demonstrated during the interview portion of the competition when the contestants must answer questions during a private interview with a panel of judges (something that does a great job at preparing you for future job interview). Grace and pose are demonstrated when the contestants must answer a random question intelligently during the onstage competition. The contestants also exhibit amazing talents by performing dance routines, baton twirling routines, vocal performances, or playing instruments.


If having to demonstrate pose, grace, intelligence, and perform a talent wasn’t tough enough, “pageant girls” must also develop a platform focused on giving back to the community. If all of that is not scary enough, add the pressure that we are doing it to help pay for an education or to further a career, not for the sparkles and make-up.


The Miss America Organization has been inspiring young women to accomplish their dreams, help their community, and develop grace, eloquence, and confidence since Margret Gorman won in 1921. When this year’s competition airs on the final night of competition on Sunday September 14th don’t think of Honey Boo Boo, marvel at the strong, confident, goal oriented women who are competing to make a difference in their communities and further their education. You should remember that you are looking at future lawyers, doctors, entertainers, and political leaders. This is the true nature of a real pageant girl, and the real truth behind those “pretty pageant girls”.


Works Cited
1989." Miss America : Our Miss Americas. Miss America Organization, n.d. Web. 2 Sept. 2014. .