Teens Pain = Success ?

Whenever there are interviews with celebrities or successful people on tv, they always say how hard their childhood was, how they had no friends at school, and got made fun of constantly. They say it only made them a stronger person and gave them the determination to keep going.
For example, we watched a movie on the biography of Charles Dickens today and he asked the man he was speaking to about his inspiration for writing, if he has had any pain in his life, because that is how he found his writing, in his misfortunes as a hardworking child with parents in debtor's prison. I mean, I understand that there are many people who have been through rough times in things such as abuse, rape, divorce, or just didn't have many friends in school, but there are only so many of those people out there, ya know? So tom me it always make me wonder, do I have to have a sucky childhood to be successful? I somewhat think that most of these people are exaggerating a lot.
But I've always wanted to hear an interview from the point of view of the people who went to school with them and supposedly made fun of them. I want to hear their perspective about their 'old classmate who became famous.' What were they really like? Do they listen to those celebrities say that stuff and think, "What a bunch of bull?"

OmgItsMeriix33 said...
its really messed up how we like to see people suffer and it entertainss us. but its true and i admittt that =b

Tybalt said...
Thats realy interesting. I have wondered why the great poets like Emily Dickinson and Edgar Alan Poe (excuse my spelling) all seem to have had some hardship in thier hardship in their lives. Mabie it was their insparation?

BlueJeans14932 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I've also always wondered the same thing, and wondered why no one was willing to address the issue!

Vexa_Rave said...
i've always wondered the same thing. i've noticed that a lot of famous people HAVE had it rough, but i don't think you have to have to become famous. i'm sure half of them haven't. i once saw an interview with Gerard Way (lead singer of My Chemical Romance) where he stated that he wasn't really bullied, but he was ignored a lot. that happens to plenty of teens, so i was glad he at least didn't pretend to have a terrible life. he even said once that he didn't have a t... (more »)