Why Is Reading Worth It? | Teen Ink

Why Is Reading Worth It?

By SAEMA BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts
SAEMA BRONZE, Marlborough, Massachusetts

Did you know that reading can help prevent Alzheimers? Not only this, but it also enhances many aspects of your everyday life. Such as creativity, memorization, concentration, stress decrease , and the promotion of the introduction of new vocabulary while keeping you entertained at the same time. We should know that reading is a great way to have fun that not only captivates you, but it also benefits you in different ways.

It has been said that if a typical student reads 1 million words a year, it’s likely that they will encounter at least 20,000 unfamiliar words. While reading a book, coming across a word that you’re unfamiliar with increases the chances of you looking it up, which then results in expanding your vocabulary. For this reason, reading has been proven to be most beneficial way to advance your vocabulary, far more valuable than any firsthand vocabulary training. Results show that reading for an extended amount of time greatly improves your memory. It requires your brain to take in all the information, analyze it, and comprehend it; requiring your complete engagement and concentration. In order for you brain to interpret this burst of information being fed into your mind, your brain must use a lot of concentration.This gives your brain a good workout, keeping it sharp, and in the meantime, expanding your attention span. Research has proven that reading is the leading way to improve your creativity. It provides you with an escape into a fantasized world within literature, helping you focus. All while putting you into a shifted state of consciousness, simulating your creativity and imagination.

No matter what topics you’re into, there's bound to be books written about it to spark your interest. There are an infinite number of books out there, each expressing new ideas, concerns and knowledge to their readers. Not only are there countless topics to choose from, there are also many, many options of genres. Such as fiction, non-fiction, poetry, mystery, horror, legends. There are an endless number of genres to select from. According to studies taken by USA today and goodreads.com, the most popular books of all time so far have been the Hunger Games trilogy and the Harry Potter series. And from the USA today survey, the #1 best-seller in 2014 so far has been The Fault in our Stars. All these books are great fiction novels to choose from. Reading has also been proven to be therapeutic. Combatting against stress and depression, and overall, making people happier and more relaxed.

People are always complaining that kids spend too much time in front of a screen and that it has poor results for their health in innumerable ways. A great alternative that’s just as entertaining, is reading! People who have not discovered the joy of reading really have not lived yet! Becoming completely captured in an interesting book is a feeling that is like none other. It enhances your mental thinking, allowing you to expand your imaginational horizons. Unlike watching tv, reading a great book does not affect your eyes or wastes your time. Books are a portable form of entertainment. You can take it wherever you go, and read anywhere, on the bus, in class, or even when you're waiting for your friend to show up at the mall. There aren't any commercial breaks, you can stop wherever you’d like and you can pick back up at the exact same scene. Picture this, you’re on the bus, waiting for your stop to come when you decide to pick up your book and read for a bit. You slowly become absorbed in the storyline. You’re immersed in the country of Panem as Katniss fights off each of her enemies to the death in order for her survival in the savage Hunger Games. And before you know it, you look up and your stop has arrived. You don’t know what you missed because you were so focused on your book.

Some may say that reading is unenjoyable and bland, also claiming that reading is
boring and wastes your time. However, many people form this opinion because they have been forced to read certain books throughout their school years that they have found uninteresting. Schools demand that students read certain books as a part of their teaching frameworks. However, this gives the impression to some students that reading is a tedious and dull task. This disables them from ever wanting to experience reading for fun, and not because they were told to. Making students want to avoid picking up a book once and for all. The reason why many people don’t like reading is because they haven't found the right book yet, and they shouldn't jump to conclusions that reading is boring before ever having read a book that’s interested them.
We should know that reading is a great way to have fun that not only entertains you, but it also benefits you in different ways. It has been proven to help you focus, enhance your vocabulary and your long-term concentration. There are many topics to choose from as well as many authors and genres. Reading is a much better alternative to watching tv or going on the computer, it keeps you entertained and benefits you in countless other ways. People should give reading a chance and try picking up a book for fun, people who don't like reading just haven't found the right book yet.