Innocent | Teen Ink

Innocent

By Denver_Manning18 BRONZE, Loveland, Ohio
Denver_Manning18 BRONZE, Loveland, Ohio

"Just do it!"

Innocent

One time on a sunny day, the 3rd of August, I was outside with my friend, Calvin, and his brother, Henry.They decided to do something bad that afternoon and they asked if I wanted to join. I said no because I would've gotten in trouble if we got caught.
So that day I went inside and watched tv hoping they wouldn't get caught and then I hear on my door a loud and disturbing knock. I got up to open it and it was the cops. They said they needed to see my mom. I went to go get her and they said, “We need to see your son and ask him some questions.” My mom is wondering why they would want to see me out of no where.
I get to the police station and they told me that my friends Calvin and Henry attempted to rob a store but when the cashier said no to demanding the money Calvin shot her. Henry mentioned that I was part of that robbery!
The cops said that I will need to go to court to prove I’m innocent. I didn’t do anything to get put in this situation so why am I here? I’m terrible under pressure and to be in court answering questions trying to stay out of jail is going to be hard even if I am innocent.
So I’m in court and the guard officer walks in and says, “All rise.” We all stand and the judge walks in and gives us the signal to sit down. I sit and the judge asks us, “Defense ready?” “Ready your honor.” I get called up to the podium first and I’m as nervous as a person who just got in big trouble but doesn't tell anyone because he’s afraid he’ll get in major trouble.
The first question asked to me was, “Where were you on the day of August 3rd this year?”

So my answer to the question was, ”On the day of August 3rd of this year I was hanging out with my friends, Henry and Calvin, and they said,”Let’s do something bad! Wanna join?” My answer to that question was, “What if we get caught?” Therefore I didn't go with them because I knew if we were to get caught then we could have gotten in huge trouble and I didn't want to get in trouble and possibly go to jail with them.
The second question asked to me was, “How close are you and Henry and Calvin?”
My answer to that question was, “We have been close all our life ever since we were born because our moms were best friends so my mom was there when her kids were born and their mom was there for my mom when she had her kids so we grew up together. We've lived in the same neighborhood all my life and I never wanted that to change yet they put me in this situation. I don’t think I could ever forgive them for this.

The jury went to discuss the situation and they walked out and told the judge what they said and they said,”We have talked this out with everybody and decided our decision. Our decision for this case is that he is not guilty. ”YES!!!!!!!” I screamed that till the roof came off. I was so happy that I cried to my mom.
The case was over and they sentenced Henry and Calvin to 25 years to life for robbing a store and shooting the cashier. They killed an innocent person for no reason at all. I will never be their friend again just because they put me through all that stress. I asked my mom, ”Mom, do you think they will ever get out of jail?” She answered, “Honey, don’t worry about it because you are not their friend and they are not yours.”

I went to bed that night thinking about today and how I got called innocent. That was probably the best day of my life because if I had gotten called guilty for something I wasn’t involved in then I would’ve been sentenced 25 years to life in jail. I am just so happy. This was the best day of my life!