Disney's Frozen | Teen Ink

Disney's Frozen

By MegoMyEggo GOLD, Solomons, Maryland
MegoMyEggo GOLD, Solomons, Maryland

I think that by now most people have at least heard of Disney’s latest movie-Frozen. In the past few months since its release, Frozen has gained more and more fans. Anyone who’s seen the movie can’t seem to get the songs out of their head; the song “Let It Go” in particular has become a big hit. I also really enjoyed the movie, I loved the music and characters, and even more, the modern outlook it takes.

The central theme in Frozen is one that seems totally new to Disney. For so long, Disney movies (at least the princess ones) are focused on a girl seeking out her prince. Yes, it is true that Frozen has this as well, but the major difference is that the movie’s main point is sisterly love instead. The plot is about the two sisters trying to find their ways through the difficulties life has given them, and learning to get through them with each others’ love and support. The “act of true love” that Anna needs to do in order to save herself is not a true love’s kiss, but is instead sacrificing herself to save her sister’s life. In the end neither of them needed a prince to come and save them; they saved themselves.

The movie also stresses the dangers of falling in love too fast and making yourself vulnerable to someone you barely know. When Anna gets engaged to a man she’d just met a few hours before, Elsa tells her this is wrong (though this is the case of most Disney princesses in movies before). This man actually turns out to be the real villain of the movie. Frozen instead puts importance in the fact that true love develops after you get to know someone, not just after the day you met.

I think that these new messages that Frozen conveys are very good for the kids that will, or have, watched this movie. They are much better life lessons than so many of the ones that some our most beloved childhood characters have portrayed to us in the past. I hope that Disney will continue this pattern even further with representing all types of people, and that the movies influencing our next generation will keep showcasing the lessons and values of life that are truly important.