Demi Lovato's impact in the world | Teen Ink

Demi Lovato's impact in the world

By Yaxeny GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Yaxeny GOLD, Cambridge, Massachusetts

"What hurts you today makes you stronger tomorrow." -Anonymous

Demi Lovato and The Impact She Has Made

Music is the unbolted gate to a place of birth within people. Whether the music is punk, pop, hip-hop, R&B, or Country. Whether it is by Bob Marley, John Lennon, or Bob Dylan. Music has seeped with either soft or rough hands into the core of people, searched for that crevice so that it can sneak through and modifies them. Music has refined communities incredibly, no matter the range of age. It changes a community by the message it presents. A voice, like President Obama had said in a speech, can be powerful enough to change from a room to the world, just like famous singer, songwriter, and actress, Demi Lovato, has done. She was born in Albuquerque, New Mexico on August 20, 1992. She lived with her parents in Texas until she was two, when her mother and father divorced, creating a tempest in hers and her father's relationship. To top having a grudge with her father; she was bullied, resulting in her self-harm and eating disorders. Two years after going into treatment and becoming a strong woman, she writes an album mostly about her father and her becoming a strong woman (or as one of her songs says, a “warrior”). Through the use of non-fiction, Demi Lovato has helped shape her global community for the better by sharing her music with the world to love and learn from.

Demi Lovato is an inspiration, through her music, for young girls all around the world going through a burdensome time in their lives and trying to find a way out of their depression. Lovato wants to make sure teenagers dealing with the same kinds of pressures (being pressured into thinking being pretty means being thin and having no flaws, even being pressured into thinking that drugs are good) and know they can make it out the other side, by relating to them in their emotional stress and doing things like; not wearing makeup for a day, thanking the Barbie company for making more regular barbies, and making a treatment scholarship for CAST, recovery services. “There was sometimes where my emotions would build up-I didn’t know what to do, and the only way that I could get instant gratification was through an immediate release-on myself” (The Katie Show interview). Demi connects easily with her fans by knowing what most are going through because she went through them herself. Of course, they all have different reasons. Some have very similar ones, but either way they are still built-up emotions. “Demi encouraged me not to be afraid of whom I am and not to be ashamed of how I looked”(Kendall Rae, My Skyscraper). Demi’s story of overcoming her depression and becoming strong has inspired many girls and boys around the world into following her footsteps into becoming purposeful people themselves.

Lovato’s personal experiences have influenced her music, especially her new album. Not only has it affected her music, but it affecting her music has done so for others. She talks about how she feels about her music, what it means to her; “I always wanted to make positive music. Obviously I’m gonna have my songs about heartbreak and breakups, but with this album… I get sick of listening to the radio and hearing only music that’s talking about partying and drinking and getting high. That’s not what I do. It’s not what I stand for… ‘Warrior has Lovato declaring herself ‘a phoenix that has risen from all-too-public ashes’... ‘Warrior’-that song was probably the hardest and easiest song to write on the album. I was writing about personal experiences, and it’s the type of song where you can’t fit all of it into one song’” (Billboard Q&A). The reason for why Warrior must’ve been the easiest yet hardest song to write on her album is because the song is so raw, it speaks about her past, her having to grow up fast and realizing how cruel the world can be when it seems like it’s against her. It also mentions that because of that, she is stronger now. A warrior is defined as a brave or experienced fighter, which, metaphorically, she is. Since a very young age, Demi has enjoyed singing. Singing was a natural thing for her to do, and acting was just a hobby. Singing and writing is a way that she can express herself, express herself with her one voice, the voice that can impact others.

Demi Lovato had connected incredibly with her fans while she was in treatment, and when she got out of it; she dedicated a lot to her loyal fans, including the gift she’s given them with her music.. While Lovato was in treatment for her self-harm, bulimia, and other things, her fans stayed with her through it; “Demi Lovato’s moving MTV documentary, ‘Stay Strong’, was named after her two wrist tattoos, which pay homage to the mantra her fans would tell her while Lovato was in treatment. ‘I have a signature heart that I dot my I’s with. So my fans would draw it on their wrists everyday until I came out of treatment...That’s a connection I have with my fans I don’t see with many other people’” (Jocelyn Vena-MTV). Lovato has extremely devoted fans who supported her through a severe breakdown; While most people would maybe think they’d be disappointed in the Disney star, they stayed by her side. And for that, Lovato showed them her gratitude with her tattoos and devotion. Usually bands or artists have millions of fans worldwide because of how flawless they are, but Lovato has fans because of how many flaws she actually has. A lot of teenage kids with flaws see her as an inspiration, she went from a weak, insecure girl who liked to act, to a strong, confident woman who likes to make a difference in the world. Because of Lovato’s acceptance of her flaws, others have seen that they are truly worth it.

Using her relatable music, Demi Lovato has contributed to help shape her global community. She has been and still is inspiring young girls and boys with lyrics she has written. She connects with her fans remarkably, them being there for her in a time of need. Now she is here for them. This is all thanks to her past which is what her recent album is mostly based on. Music brings out a persons true raw emotions, connects to people, and can be a partial therapy.

.

Demi Lovato has turned my life around and she has done so for thousands of others.

am1996 said...
on Jun. 10 2015 at 4:55 pm
Beautifully written, concise, opinionated but not biased and flowed wonderfully. Well done!

on Apr. 7 2015 at 11:54 pm
Is it Micheal or Michael

on Sep. 30 2014 at 3:10 pm
abandonedkid SILVER, Richmond, Virginia

"every guitar needs to be tuned" which means everyone needs help with something

If you love demi as much as I do you'll know this article is beautiful.My name is Brandon Micheal Rohrbaugh and I am a world known publisher.I make ordinary people like you superstars like Demi Lovoto if you would like to know more contact me by commenting on my article dear cody thankyou have a nice day -Brandon Micheal Rohrbaugh