Clebrities | Teen Ink

Clebrities

By AmberLorraine SILVER, Olathe, Kansas
AmberLorraine SILVER, Olathe, Kansas

"If the sky were to suddenly open up, there would be no law, there would be no rule. There would only be you and your memories." - Donnie Darko

Celebrities of today are getting worse and worse. I don’t think that they understand exactly how much influence they have on people. Whenever they do something, the whole world is watching and some are influenced that whatever they are doing is acceptable. Why else would they do it?

Teenagers are regularly diagnosed with eating disorders. In many cases, they say that it was influenced by celebrities. Many models and celebrities today have started unhealthy habits. Some people refuse to believe that disorders such as bulimia and anorexia are unhealthy and can harm you because they want to look like today’s celebrities.

Another thing that teenagers are sometimes influenced to do by celebrities is drugs. Artists such as Amy Winehouse have even made songs about rehab and drug addiction. I think it is great that they have been to rehab, but it does not always keep them clean, especially when they do not stay for more than a day or two.

Another big problem with celebrities is their use of alcohol. In the past two years, there have been several cases in which celebrities have had a DUI charge. In addition, there have been many photographs of celebrities out partying while being under the influence of alcohol.

Some teenagers of today need help to learn that just because celebrities have an eating disorder, drug or alcohol addiction, or even a baby, it is not always OK to follow their example and strive to be just like them. There are also some celebrities whose morals set them apart and they have a positive influence on people. I just think that it is important for the youth of today to choose their celebrity role model carefully. You should first make sure that what they are doing is healthy and positive and that it will not get them into any trouble. If it gets them into trouble, it will probably get you into even more trouble.

Kanderson33 BRONZE, Indianapolis, Indiana
drater drater. drater

omg like I totally agree, like toootalllleyyyy!!!!!

a. conklin said...
on Nov. 16 2009 at 7:51 am
Maybe.. but you know most of peer body image comes from others that people see often. Some of these people would be celebrities thanks.

Sunshineyday said...
Actually the "rehab' song was about NOT going to rehab. and relapse is often not a choice, it is a physiological failure to abstain from the object of your addiction.I think that you are exaggerating the influence of celebrities on youth. A celebrity alone will not make someone do something like vomit out thier meals..it has to be a perfect storm of different factors.(i.e prior body image issues) also, it is difficult to judge celebrities, we don't know them personally. Could the pressure drive them into alcoholism? Cameras in the face 24/7, managers always calling them, ect. I feel that too often in this country we outsource responsibility for our own actions to "media". MAybe all of US should take responsibility and think for ourselves, rather than searching for someone to emulate. I can definitely see where you are coming from, but we can't change hollywood, so why not change ourselves?