Violent video games... | Teen Ink

Violent video games...

Yes! The school day is finally over! Now I can go home and play some games with my friends! Hmmm...which game should I play? Black Ops 2 or Call of Duty: Ghosts? I’ll pick Call of Duty: Ghosts. Yeah! 360 no scope on that loser! Oh I have a killing spree! Headshot! Double kill! Triple kill! Now I can call in an airstrike on these suckers! Ha ha ha!
Now this maybe a little exaggerated but this is most likely what goes through most kid’s head when they are playing a violent video game like, Grand Theft Auto 5 (GTA 5 ) Call Of Duty: Ghosts, Black Ops 2, etc. Games like these don’t help your kids in anyway shape or form. What games like those teach kids is simple:
Killing is fun.
There are so many reasons this should stop some people think that violent video games are to blame for shootings at schools and at malls over the years. Not bad stuff like that but other things like abuse, bullying, and swearing.
A research study in 2008 showed that about 97% of kids of the United States have played video games, so what? So a lot of kids play video games nowadays. In 2011 another research study showed that 71% of most video games had some kind of violence involved with it. But wait that's not all, 98% of the time the "bad guy" doesn't get punished actually it's the opposite they get rewarded!
Surely violent video games aren’t that bad? The first “violent” video game came out in 1976 it was called Death Race. What the player had to do was run over little stick figures with their cars. At the time Death Race was disgusting, idiotic, and extremely crude. It got so bad that at some places it was banned from stores! Early research said that violent video games did not affect children, but since it is the future, thus having video games have better graphics, thus making early studies obsolete to these new times. 98% of physicians say that they do think that violent messages in the media can and will affect how children grow up.
When Death Race began so did the race to sell the most video games. What makes a better video game today, is usually how violent the game is and the occasionally how good the graphics are. The next big game that came out was called Wolfenstein 3D. The game takes place in a German fortress, where you must fight your way out. Wolfenstein 3D was the most realistic game at it’s time. When you shot at a German the German would fall onto the ground and start to bleed. And soon after that all the video games tried to start doing that.Thus began the violent video game race.
People can help stop thing make kids stop playing video games like GTA 5, it has been proven that games like that do affect children. You can, anyone can stop playing video games, but can you really stop? Violent video games are really fun but give the player the wrong image about death and killing. Are you not lazy enough to stop can you stick out from everyone else?
The next time you listen to the news and hear another shooting stop and think, did that person play violent video games?