Eyes wide shut; ears wide open

Music is so much apart of our lives. It's expression, it's art, it's everything to most people and yet, I guess what I fear the most is that we're not really listening. Have you ever heard a song and really heard the lyrics? And for a lot of us (myself included) that's a no. And if we're not listening to the lyrics what are we listening to? Oh I know. It's the melody we listen to. The beat, the harmony, but then what's left? what we forget is that songs are stories. The artist is telling you something through those lyrics. Maybe it's not personally about them, but it's theirs. Music is art. A lyric is a statement. It's poetry. Sometimes it's dark and jarring, and--if you find a really good song--earth-shattering. Sometimes it's light, and maybe a little simple, but that's what makes it so good. The point is, is that sometimes we don't listen. Most of the time we don't listen. So please, I implore you. Close your eyes, and open your ears. What do you hear? It could be Dan Auerbach telling God that all he sees his wasted times and broken dreams, or it could be Regine telling you about her mother. It doesn't matter who's telling the story, but if we are going to be faithful, loyal listeners of music,the least we can do is listen.

ramfthomas4This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
yesterday at 5:36 pm:
Everyone should take this to heart. As a Christian, I realized recently that the songs I listen to, even those with clean lyrics or positive topics sometimes run counter to my world view.  So you can be listening to something totaly against your beliefs without realizing it. Realizing what you listen to is step one in controlling your intake of music. This is a great article. :)  

mjb18 replied...
today at 1:25 pm :
thanks so much :)

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 28 at 10:45 am:
I agree. I've been wanting to write an article exactly like this for awhile, but you've beat me to it. Some people hear music, but others listen to it. Problem is, there isn't a whole lot of music coming out nowadays that is worth listening to. The Black Keys are a great example of music worth listening to, though. So's Marina and the Diamonds. Good article though!

BellersThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 28 at 9:35 am:
This is really great.  I often have the same feeling.  Listening to music is like church and there are quite a few who take it for granted.  It is special and we should remember that.