Eyes wide shut; ears wide open | Teen Ink

Eyes wide shut; ears wide open

June 25, 2013
By mjb18 SILVER, Bay Shore, New York
mjb18 SILVER, Bay Shore, New York
9 articles 0 photos 10 comments

Favorite Quote:
"We read to know we are not alone"- C.S. Lewis
"There's nothing to writing. You just sit at a typewriter and bleed."- Earnest Hemingway


Music is so much apart of our lives. It's expression, it's art, it's everything to most people and yet, I guess what I fear the most is that we're not really listening. Have you ever heard a song and really heard the lyrics? And for a lot of us (myself included) that's a no. And if we're not listening to the lyrics what are we listening to? Oh I know. It's the melody we listen to. The beat, the harmony, but then what's left? what we forget is that songs are stories. The artist is telling you something through those lyrics. Maybe it's not personally about them, but it's theirs. Music is art. A lyric is a statement. It's poetry. Sometimes it's dark and jarring, and--if you find a really good song--earth-shattering. Sometimes it's light, and maybe a little simple, but that's what makes it so good. The point is, is that sometimes we don't listen. Most of the time we don't listen. So please, I implore you. Close your eyes, and open your ears. What do you hear? It could be Dan Auerbach telling God that all he sees his wasted times and broken dreams, or it could be Regine telling you about her mother. It doesn't matter who's telling the story, but if we are going to be faithful, loyal listeners of music,the least we can do is listen.


The author's comments:
I just felt like I should speak my piece on this. I love music and it should be listened to for what it is.

Dan Auerbach-The Black Keys
Regine- Arcade Fire