Be Confident in What You Wear | Teen Ink

Be Confident in What You Wear

June 20, 2013
By tspoon83 SILVER, Roselle Park, New Jersey
tspoon83 SILVER, Roselle Park, New Jersey
5 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Favorite Quote:
“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.”
- Dr. Maya Angelou


BEING CONFIDENT IN WHAT YOU WEAR






.


Flashback in time

Do any of you remember the 42nd Grammy awards on February 23rd 2000? I know I do! I was sitting on my old college roommate’s couch. That was back in the day though! Let’s focus on that one dress that shocked the fashion community and made headlines. That jaws dropping green Versace dress. Creating a whole new outlet into feeling confident in what you wear.

Background info:
I think we all know who Jennifer Lopez is, famous Pop/ Hip Hop singer, actress, and dancer. This woman obviously has style, creating a hip hop urban vibe to almost all her outfits. Making it sleek and chic. We went back in time and remembered that famous green dress. The dress was a sea green, jungle look. It included a hint of blue for an exotic tone. The dress was worn by superstar Jennifer Lopez. It exposed her midriff and was attached by a silver brooch. The dress was designed by famous fashion designer Donatella Versace. The cost was $15,000. It was originally loaned to the star, but after the major publicity they gave it to her.

First Step into feeling confident

You don’t have to wear something that’s revealing. That’s totally not the attention you want. But, you want to take fashion risks.
By wearing two different colors is one way. How about changing up a hair style once in a while? Little steps can lead to big things. While the dress exposed too much, the star did teach us a lesson.



“If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life”
-Marcus Garvey

Being Different

There is no evidence that proves being different is bad. Let’s look at the definition of different. Different: Partially or totally not alike. Jennifer Lopez wore her dress because she thought it was nice. Not to prove that she could be different. She probably assumed that the dress was not going to get attention. But, it did. She even stated “It was a nice dress. I had no idea it was going to become such a big deal.” Being different doesn’t require a thought process; you just become different. It’ll boost your confidence.

Empower your confidence

You can empower your confidence by telling yourself everyday that you are beautiful. This increases your self esteem levels too. Empowering your confidence doesn’t require money, but it does require time. Make yourself happy! Another thing is the smile, show your teeth. Did you see how Jennifer Lopez was smiling in that dress? Surely you can too. It tells people that you can be friendly and nice. While a straight face just says “I’m not the nicest person but I’m okay.” The way you walk contributes too.
When you enter the room with your head up high a smile on your face and ready to go! You’ll be ready for anything.








“There’s young girls watching me, and I want to make sure that they see you can be beautiful without having to show everything”

-
Zendaya Colemen


Why is confidence important?

Confidence is important because it enhances your appeal towards others. Say your new in school and you don’t know anybody. A good way to start is to walk up to one of the girls and say “Hi my name is..” and so on. This instantly boosts your confidence. People will know that you like to be welcomed.

Confidence in Fashion
Now that we learned to be confident socially, let’s learn in our fashion. The question your wondering is, how do I become confident in my fashion? Becoming confident in your fashion does require creativity. To make a creative flare, wear a tie-die shirt and a headband around your head. Creating your own clothes! If you start to make your own clothes your sure to feel confident. Because since you’re making them, it’s your trademark. In fashion having confidence requires a great deal of creativity and having fun.

Recap
Becoming confident doesn’t just happen overnight. It requires a great deal of maturity, creativity, social skills and fashion. To be confident in what you wear, is determined the way you speak and the way you look.


The author's comments:
This piece is about having confidence by using fashion.