Oscar and Heisman | Teen Ink

Oscar and Heisman

February 27, 2013
By SHER_locked PLATINUM, Alta Loma, California
SHER_locked PLATINUM, Alta Loma, California
32 articles 2 photos 51 comments

Why do people root for sports teams? Perhaps it’s because they’re entertaining to watch. Or that they consist of good-looking, talented, rich people. Or because they allow friendly competition with neighbors and family members. Well, I have a different type of team. My teams have all those characteristics, but my players are actors, my teams are movies, and my Superbowl? The Oscars.

The Oscars are my favorite television event of the year. I couldn’t care less about who wins the Superbowl, or who’s in the World Series. I simply love movies and all the talent and hard work that go into making them. When I really love a movie, I root for it and all its players. I watch the play-off games like the Golden Globes and BAFTA’s, cheering on my favorites. I wait breathlessly for the announcement of the Oscar nominees to see which of my players and teams made it to the championship. Because that’s what the Oscars are: they’re a celebration and acknowledgement of the best of the best in show biz. I’m so proud when my picks win, as I was this year when Jennifer Lawrence and Adele won.

There is one drawback to movie-following as opposed to team-following: making choices. Because after all, there’s only one winner no matter how many deserve it. For example, I had tons of choices to make this year. It was the hardest yet. So many choices: Bradley Cooper or Daniel Day-Lewis for best actor? Ang Lee or Steven Spielberg for best director? The Hobbit or Life of Pi for visual effects? And the hardest of all, Argo, Zero Dark Thirty, Life of Pi, or Silver Linings Playbook for best picture? Even up until the final moment, I still hadn’t decided which I wanted to win. When Argo won though, I was so proud. I would have been happy if any of my favorites had won. I guess having more choices just means I win either way. Because for me, that’s what it feels like. I know I have no reason to be proud of these movies that I had nothing to do with, except for paying $6 towards their profit. But I can’t help it. Good movies make me feel connected to them. Seeing people and movies I love win Oscars make me feel like a winner too.

Another thing I love about the Oscars is the fashion. I love seeing all the actress’ colorful dresses and flowing gowns. My mom and I like to critique them. “She’s wearing THAT?! What was she thinking?!” Even though, given the chance, we’d both wear the ugliest dress in the world if it meant we got to go to the celebrity event of the year. The Oscars give us a chance to think about what could have been, if we were actually talented actors. They let us dream and just revel in rich people’s lives, to fantasize about luxury and fame. The sheer number of people watching reflects our society’s possibly unhealthy obsession with celebrity, fame, and luxury. And you know what? I don’t care if I am a part of it. Actors and the other wonderful people behind movie magic are my MVP’s, and that little golden statuette is their Heisman.