Easy 7 | Teen Ink

Easy 7

By Dane1234 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado
Dane1234 BRONZE, Woodland Park, Colorado

When Bert Royal attempted to create a movie based off of Nathaniel Hawthorne’s book The Scarlet Letter he successfully portrayed all of the main aspects of the book. Olive Pendergahst (Emma Stone) portrayed all of the inner strength that Hester Prynne showed in the original novel. The only flaw of the movie was the sexual stereotypes portrayed by Olive that did not occur in the book. Over all, the movie deserves 7 out of 10 for its interpretation of the book.

In the movie, Olive is led out to be a “s***” and is socially out casted in her high school. She realizes that she can’t take make her reputation and decides to play along with it. She put’s on a scarlet A and takes on the role of Hester in The Scarlet Letter. Both characters become a scapegoat for everyone’s social problems. The difference between the book and the movie that demotes the movie is the immature stereotypes. Olive get’s stereotyped as a “s***” and didn’t even do anything but tell a lie. In the book Hester actually does have a baby and is considered immoral, but in the movie Olive just makes up a story to make herself seem immoral. The two works both portray the strength and courage the women had to have to overcome their problems in society. For the most part, Royal’s movie follows the basic story of The Scarlet Letter and portrays the struggle and downturn the women go through.

In conclusion, I would give Royal 7 out of 10 for his portrayal of Hawthorne’s book. They both had the theme of society ruins people’s lives based off of what they hear and that we need to overcome those rumors. In the book, I learned that overcoming society is important and not to let what other’s say bring me down. In the movie I learned that I need to keep my private life separate from my personal life and that people don’t need to know what I am or am not doing. Society doesn’t need to know about other people’s problems and people shouldn’t let society get them down.

It was written about The Scartlet Letter and the movie Easy A