One Direction Rant | Teen Ink

One Direction Rant

June 28, 2012
By tiffanytao BRONZE, New Hope, Pennsylvania
tiffanytao BRONZE, New Hope, Pennsylvania
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

So I've been thinking and I'm annoyed. And tired. I'm tired of spending all my time fangirling. On five boys and their lovely management that do everything for their own benefit. And for our money. Think about it. We spend every waking minute following them. It's gotten to the point where we can just track their every movement, their every hotel room, and their every flight. In the end though, it's stupid really, how we dedicate time to these boys who couldn’t care less about us. I'm not saying they don't care, because I truly believe they do. But when was the last time they asked you how you were? How your day went? If you were all right? Okay, true. They have a lot of fans, so maybe they don’t have the time to get around to everyone. Okay. So what makes you think they’re going to love you? We waste our teenage lives following them around, tracking their every move, and expecting them to love us right back. But for what? Why are we throwing our time away, doing all of this for people that want nothing more from us than our money? You know that the reason that those recent tour dates were only released so that they could cash in more, right? They’re doing this because the boys may not be top of the world popular for that much longer so they might as well rake it all in now. Hate to break it to you hun, but the reason for more dates wasn't so that those without tickets would have a chance to go. It’s because they have an opportunity to make more and in Hollywood, that’s all that matters.

Sure, we can rant all we want about how stupid a decision this was on management’s part, but is that going to stop you from getting tickets. We’re addicted. One Direction is our everything. They’re our drug. We need them. There is no way we’d sit and watch other fans buy tickets and not do it because you don’t think it’s the right thing to do. The boys have us wrapped around their fingers. We honestly will do whatever they say, ‘Pay for my car. Buy my iPhone. Come to my shows.’ It’s silly how much they control our lives, but I am in no way degrading us fans. I’m just as hooked. I was just thinking about this today and realized how much the boys have just taken over our lives. We could be making a huge difference, studying, traveling, going out with friends and we spend our precious teenage years in front of a computer refreshing for tickets and spamming for a follow. We all have so much potential and we still get more excited when the boys come on Twitcam than when we hear good news about people in our actual lives. Once again, this isn’t a degradation of anyone. I just truly believe that if we put as much passion into what we do on an everyday basis as we put into the boys, we would have made a huge change by now. The fact that we’re capable of positively impacting the lives of others and not going out and doing so because we’d much rather get a ‘happy birthday’ tweet or listen to a radio interview, that’s the saddest part.