Nicki vs. Kim | Teen Ink

Nicki vs. Kim

February 13, 2012
By Deja Still BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey
Deja Still BRONZE, Morristown, New Jersey
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

A’Deja Still 2-1-12


Nicki Minaj and Lil’ Kim are two of the most talented female rappers in Hip-Hop. They are very similar. In this paper, I’m going to prove in my opinion that Nicki Minaj is a better rapper by looking through all the top criteria’s. I’m going to prove that by comparing the two’s album sales, the producers they have or had, and their wardrobe.

For a musical artist, the number of album copies sold is very important. In the first week, Nicki Minaj’s ‘Pink Friday’ sold 525-575,000 copies. People magazine says “One of the most exciting news voices in Hip-Hop.” In 28 hours, Lil’ Kim’s ‘Black Friday’ sold 113,000 copies. People magazine says “As female rappers have come and gone, she’s always stayed past them all.” As far as selling, I think Nicki Minaj was more successful.

For a musical artist, having producers are important. Their important because if you don’t have producers, you don’t produce music. Usually, you would have more than one producer. Nicki Minaj had nine producers at one point. They were Bangladesh, Blackout Movement, Drew Money, Oak, Papa Justifi, J.R. Rotem, Swizz Beatz, T-Minus, and Will.i.Am. Lil' Kim had four producers at one point. They were Scott Storch, Denaun Porter, 7 Aurelius, and J.R. Rotem. I think that Nicki Minaj is better with producers because she has more experience. I also think that Nicki Minaj is a better artist because of her different producers she's had.

Wardrobe is very important for a musical artist. Your "swagg" as a musical artist is just as important as your fans. How you display yourself effects the fans that you get or have as a musical artist. Nicki Minaj's wardrobe stylist is Niki Schwan. Nicki resembles the Harajuku Barbie. Her style is very colorful and she wears lots of wigs and pumps. Terrence Davidson is her hair stylist. Lil' Kim's style is colorful and dark at the same time. She wears different weaves and pumps too. I didn't find this very surprising that Terrence Davidson used to be her hair stylist.

Honestly, I think that both Nicki Minaj and Lil' Kim are both great musical artists. I also think that on some levels, Nicki Minaj does try to be like Lil' Kim. I say that because Lil' Kim has a 'Black Friday' and Nicki Minaj comes out with a 'Pink Friday'. More examples is that Nicki Minaj got one of Lil' Kim's old producers which is J.R. Rotem. The last reason why I said that about Nicki Minaj is because that Terrence Davidson used to be Lil' Kim's hair stylist and now Nicki Minaj has him as her hair stylist. Because of these facts, Nicki Minaj has been called a "wanna be Kim", even though this may be true . . I still think that Nicki Minaj is better.