Just Another Craze | Teen Ink

Just Another Craze

January 26, 2012
By SarahBlack SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
SarahBlack SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
“What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?” John Green


With over 116 million books sold, and grossing over $2 billion from movies, The Twilight Saga has gained immense popularity and commercial success around the world. However the series has gained much controversy, both over its literary substance and over the type of relationship portrayed in the books.

Many have ridiculed the series as poor writing; rightful so, in fact.

Meyer’s “hero,” Bella Swan, is considered a ‘Mary Sue’ in literally terms. She’s has absolutely no noteworthy flaws, and the character traits that both Swan and Meyer share are remarkably shocking. In fact, the idea of twilight came to Meyer in a dream where she was in a meadow with a beautiful boy who was a vampire.

Even Robert Pattinson, who plays Edward Cullen in the movie, said: "When I read it ... I was convinced that Stephenie was convinced that she was Bella, and ... it was like it was a book that wasn't supposed to be published, like reading her — her sort of sexual fantasy about some — especially when she says that it was based on a dream, and it's like, "Oh, then I had a dream about this really sexy guy" and she just writes this book about it, and there's some things about Edward that are just so specific that ... I was just convinced that this woman is mad, she's completely mad, and she's in love with her own fictional creation. And I sometimes ... feel uncomfortable reading this thing, and I think a lot of people feel the same way, that it's kind of voyeuristic ... It creates this sick pleasure in a lot of ways.”

Meyer also has problems knowing her own story. In the first pages, Bella says: “My mom looks like me, except for short hair and laugh lines.” At this point, we have no idea what Bella Swan looks like at all, so it’s just a pointless description.

Furthermore, there is a difference between writing and writing well, and in Meyer’s case, using a thesaurus. Throughout the book Meyer abuses the thesaurus so much that her prose becomes very flowery. Meyer manages to use eighty-six different ways to use the word yellow, when describing Edward’s eyes, and possibly uses every synonym of attractive to describe Edward’s appearance. Actually, Meyer is really unable to stop writing how “beautiful,” “God-like and “perfect” Edward is with his “cold marble skin.” In addition to, Meyer doesn’t even manage to use the words correctly in phrases, only proving that she has no idea what she is saying.

Then there is the whole ordeal with her supernatural creatures. Yes, Meyer is writing fiction, but there is still a line in fiction and she has managed to drive many miles pass it. Meyer did not create her own creatures, or world, or anything. It is set in modern time Washington, where vampires and werewolves. Since vampires and werewolves are already creatures that exist, you can’t completely butcher what they are. Yes, by being a writer you can change things, but Meyer didn’t even bother to do some research on the matter. Meyer claims that her vampires are based on scientifically based, and then proceed to ignore all logical and science with explanations of vampire evolution, crystal structures, imaginary hormones, and genetics, among other things.

The biggest flaw in Twilight, however, is how much it fails with details; flaws which could have been avoided if Ms. Meyer had spent five seconds on Google. Forks, Washington is not the rainiest place in the United States, as she claim on several occasions. All snowflakes have six sided symmetry and it would be impossible for anyone to snatch a "perfect, eight-pointed star" out of the air. London's sewers were open ditches until the underground system was constructed between 1859 and 1865, so Carlisle would have a hard time hiding in the sewers. The English did not burn witches at the stake; witches were hanged. Also, someone should really also consider getting, Meyer a geography book as Brazil is not located on the west coast of South America, and doesn’t have a west coast.

Although Twilight has gained much success since its publishing in 2005, it’s just a craze and will be forgotten in time.