Tears Dry On Their Own: The Short History of Amy Winehouse

Looks like its a new entry to "Club 27". British singer, Amy Winehouse was found dead in her apartment in London, Saturday morning, July 13, 2011. She was known for her hits such as "Rehab" and "You Know I'm No Good", that both charted on the U.S. charts. Her sophmore album, "Back to Black" received positive reviews, named one of the ten-best albums of 2006 by several magazines and pieces, including, Billboard Magazine, Entertainment Weekly, The New York Times, as well as The New York Times. The album went on to win Winehouse five Grammys, tying her in 2006 with the likes of singers Beyonce Knowles, Norah Jones, Lauryn Hill, and others for the second-most winnings by a female artist in one night. By the end of the year, the album was certified platinum. The years following, the Camden-born songtress eerily did what two of her tracks were named: Being in and out of "Rehab" as well as being "Addicted". She stayed in the media and tabloids being the pinnacle of joke. She was teased for her overly-exaggerated beehive hair-do, excessive tattoos, and her deep, rugged, contralto British accent. She's confessed to having problems with self-harm, eating disorders, and depression. In 2007, she was hospitialized from what was reported as an overdose on heroin, cocaine, ecstasy, ketamine, and alcohol. She left a paper trail full of court documents from being found with possesion of marajuana all the way down to punching a fan and headbutting paparazzi. Recently, the singer began a 2011 European tour in Serbia. She pulled out after the first venue due to her performance. Winehouse stumbled around stage, forgot lyrics, missed cues, and hit many sour notes. The fans clapped to try to encourage her, why others booed and wished she would stop. Amy Winehouse was found dead at the age of 27. Police are investigating and no one knows what happened. You can say many things about the controversal singer, but one thing is undeniable: she had a voice. She is now in Club 27 with fellow musicians, Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Jim Morrison, Kurt Cobain, and Brian Jones, all of whom died at this young age. Two tragedies happened Saturday morning: The bombing in Norway and the death of Amy Winehouse. Mourners of both events alike will test the capability of Winehouse's lyrics: If "Tears Dry On Their Own".