Actress Miley Cyrus (Party in the USA?) | Teen Ink

Actress Miley Cyrus (Party in the USA?)

By AlonsoPierre BRONZE, Garden City, Kansas
AlonsoPierre BRONZE, Garden City, Kansas

I just watched the video of Miley Cyrus smoking Salvia. I’m sure this is old news; however, I’m not sure how to take it. There are several comments swaying both ways (e.g. should be a role model, should be more mature, shouldn’t be judged harsher than anyone else, etc.)

I know people who have done Salvia or other kinds of drugs, I mean, In this day and age who doesn't? Do I think they’re wrong? Not particularly. Like my high school debate coach, Mr. Tidwell says, we live in an age where technology can be used as a weapon. What disturbs me about Miley’s drug usage isn’t that she smoked a completely legal drug, but rather that she allowed someone to film it. I understand that Salvia isn’t Marijuana but she must understand how smoking from a bong is perceived. If I were to take a picture of me holding a beer, even if it’s just for a friend, it could cause some serious damage. The old saying that a picture speaks a thousand words holds true. These words are not always truthful, though. I expect that most teenagers understand not to take pictures or videos of them doing drugs, or even doing things that can be misconceived. Miley Cyrus should be as accountable as any other teenager; we all know better than to allow things like that to float around and so should she.

I must side with Miley on her decision to smoke Salvia, though. What most people don’t consider is that she is only eighteen years old. I’ve done a lot of things that would be judged harshly as well. I’m also sure that a lot of our parents, teachers, and other adult figures have engaged in mischievous activity. Why should she be held to higher standards than them, because she’s a role model? I have news for everyone; being Hannah Montana is her job. She is an actress. If you want your children to have good role models you should enroll them in Big Brothers, Big Sisters. Take some responsibility and LET YOUR CHILDREN KNOW they are just actors and actresses. Maybe some parents should have actual conversations with their children, and then they wouldn’t worry about their children wanting to become hussies and drug addicts.

I suppose the point is: “LEAVE MILEY ALONE!”

Children should have decent role models, that much is true; however, parents can no longer rely on Disney characters and household figures to positively influence their children. I hope that the Miley Cyrus scandal will finally open up the eyes of parents and allow them to realize that actors and actresses are not their baby sitters -- it's not their responsibility to instill morals into other people's children.

Wanda Allen said...
i dont like her!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ccwr6 said...
on Apr. 28 2011 at 4:31 am
Transitional devices are lacking and make the flow very choppy. You are able to express your opinions clearly but they are not put together very well; until the last sentence of this article, I wasn't quite sure what the point was you were trying to make. However, offering advice for dealing with the problem "take some responsibility" was noble of you; it also takes courage to stand against the tide of popular opinion, and I praise you for that.

alexdiaz! said...
I looove it!