Pop Gone Wild?

Turn on any Top 40 radio station, and you will most likely hear a song about clubbing, drinking, or sex. In fact, the Billboard Hot 100 consists of E.T.(Katy Perry, ft. Kanye West), S&M (Rihanna), and On the Floor (Jennifer Lopez, ft. Pitbull). All of these songs have to do with clubbing, drinking, or sex, and On the Floor is a perfect example of this. One lyric reads, “ Grab somebody, drink a little more.”, and similar lyrics are repeated throughout the song. While these songs are great to dance to if you are older than fourteen, they seem a little mature for nine year olds, who can be found chanting the lyrics as they prance into the toy store. Would you want your kids reciting Rihanna’s S&M on the way to soccer practice? It may not bug if you don’t understand the lyrics, but it was released that S&M stands for sex and money, which are a little “grown up” for a kid to be singing.
I understand that this is a new generation of music, but seriously, some of these songs are getting a bit racy. Yes, everyone has the freedom of speech, so Rihanna can definitely write a song about anything, whether it concerns sex and money, or not. But I do think that artists, and even the radio stations blasting these songs should be a bit considerate, and try their best to play songs that aren’t so racy.

CyberLydii said...
Apr. 24, 2012 at 7:11 am

I agree with you wholeheartedly. Not to sound like a troll or anything, but S&M /generally/ stands for Sadism and Masochism. But yes, I agree. Little kids should NOT be listening to it.

IcePrincess This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 26, 2011 at 11:31 am
I totally agree, and these artists aren't the only ones.  Every single Kesha song is about something too graphic for anyone not in high school or older, and Lady Gaga, while the songs themselves aren't horrible, she is.  Her videos are atrocious!  So I totally agree with you, 100%