The Escalating Escapades of Miley Cyrus: Big Deal… Or not? | Teen Ink

The Escalating Escapades of Miley Cyrus: Big Deal… Or not?

By jadecaruso BRONZE, Roebling, New Jersey
jadecaruso BRONZE, Roebling, New Jersey

Due to Miley’s recent actions, the public is truly disappointed in her! Wait just a minute… Is it possible to be disappointed in someone you never believed in to begin with? I’m thinking no! The public has been waiting for her to have a slip up ever since the first season of Hannah Montana. Call me crazy, but I’m not sure why the public is even affected by her actions. So she DOES get a LITTLE scandalous at times, but what teenager doesn’t have faults? As a matter of fact what person of any age, race, background, or lifestyle doesn’t have faults? Now, the important task at hand is figuring out where ‘we’ the people, draw that line between innocent teenage fun, and insanely scandalous, inappropriate, and self destructive behavior. Some people are more conservative than others, and some people simply have different views than others, but there is no reason for people to scrutinize her for not abiding by the rules of THEIR religion, or belief system. I’m pretty sure every teenager has at one point, done something that isn’t necessarily wrong according to today’s standards, but would be taken as something completely unacceptable if their grandparents found out. For instance: I shop at Juicy Couture and spend insane amounts of money on clothes, just plain clothes with a couple of rhinestones, a Scottie dog, and a crest on them somewhere. If my grandmother knew, that I spend $250.00 on a bag, or $150.00 on a velour track jacket, she would go insane! And her first point would be that she could find the same clothes at a discount store/yard-sale for $5.00. I find her point to be very true, but today things are different… and that’s just the way it is. So basically, Are the things that Miley has done nearly as bad, within today’s standards, as the public has made them out to be? To the public’s current knowledge Miley has not done anything illegal, so what’s the big deal?
Some of her acts have been pushing it lately (See Bong Video), but believe it or not A LOT of teens today are out doing the same things, but just not being taped and exploited while doing it. I do believe Miley could have been more responsible with what she was doing, who she was doing it with, and who was recording her. But is the video, really any different then someone taking a candid photo of you at a birthday party doing something embarrassing? At least candid shots of you aren’t being released for the whole world to see and judge. Being a teenage girl, I’m sure that all of this criticism and hatred towards her is actually getting to her in some way but I think she should be congratulated for covering it up so well. She’s doing a great job of not letting the public ‘get to her’, or at least that’s what it looks like to me.
I feel that Miley’s recent opening “Sorry, I’m not perfect” song on Saturday Night Live, was perfect for her situation and couldn’t have come at a greater time. She finally pointed out, that she’s NOT what everyone else is (see 90% of all at one time, teen celebs) and she doesn’t plan on becoming what they are. I have been waiting for a long time, for her to publicly question why people aren’t seeing what she does right! From my understanding she never did claim to be a perfect role model, to young children or older children, or teenagers for that matter. The thing I do not really understand is, why parents are outraged when their 4-6 year old children, are finding out about Miley smoking this unnamed legal substance at hand because I don’t really know why their children are surfing the random celebrity news pages, or PEREZHILTON.COM in the first place. Sounds to me like they should worry about their own children, and what they’re doing before they worry about Billy Ray Cyrus not being able to raise a perfect angel teen pop-star.
I don’t feel that she is going to get as bad as all of the other once popular Disney pop-stars, who are now “stealing necklaces”, “writing offensive phrases on their nails”, “shaving their heads”, and just being plain out of control. Miley seems like she actually has standards and morals and knows when she’s pushing the limit of appropriateness. Honestly, I think this was a great publicity act to help break her from being frozen within the ice-cube which is, has been, and always will be Disney.

Miley's Constant fight with the media, about what is okay and not okay for her to do within the legal limits is getting ridiculous. It's time for people to really question, if the things she's done really are a BIG DEAL!

lovetowrite22 SILVER, ..., Colorado

"Everything happens for a reason."

miley is probably a good person deep down; she's just like any other teenager. in fact, she's not even as bad as a lot of teenagers. some of her acts, as you said, have pushed it, such as the bong smoking, going out of country to drink underage, or grinding on a forty-year-old guy. she just needs to balance out her actions a little bit.

mrsgermano said...
Congrats on this publication Jade!  Keep writing!

nick bottom said...
insightful and intelligent; too often we do not realize that teen idols are human first