Games and Teaching | Teen Ink

Games and Teaching

Games, there is so many things you can do with games. You can drive a sports car through the streets off Rome with the police after you. Save the world for the hundredth time from a alien threat in space. And even create your own world with its own species. But did you know that some of these games that you have played have been teaching you without you noticing.

Although, you wouldn’t see it to much with the over the top action packed games of today. With a few games there might be a small puzzle that involves you just moving one object from one spot to another. The most that you’ll learn from one of these games is a bit of geometry. If your target is X feet away and you can only throw a grenade with a arc of Z then at what angle do you throw your grenade.

But a game that really gets your brain thinking on how to solve the problem in front of you is any kind of Zelda game. Zelda games have always been well known for their complex and delicate puzzles. You really have to think out side of the box and consider every angle for almost every little thing. These games are one of the few that opens your mind to all sorts of things and ideas and anyone who has ever played a Zelda game is sure to agree.

There are even a few games out there that even help you learn and try to keep your mind sharp. For little kids there are all sorts of new games that help them to learn how to read and to do math. “Hooked on Phonics” is a company that does nothing more then make games to help kids learn the basics of education and help other kids that have difficulty learning. A little game called “Brain Age” is a DS game that tests your brain by giving you a series of questions and how fast and accurate your answers are it determines how old it thinks your brain is. It also shows what you can do to keep your brain fit, with small memorial exercises that you can do.

Gamers have obviously already helped out and teach a lot of people. Myself included have learned quite a bit of math from games. So when you think of playing a game, don’t think that it’s going to turn your brain into mush, just think of how it’s going to make you smarter.