Calebrities as False Idols | Teen Ink

Calebrities as False Idols

February 4, 2011
By clynickc BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
clynickc BRONZE, Glendale, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

You view them on the television and you scrutinize them on every magazine cover. You read articles and watch shows on them for drinking too much, going to rehab, partying hard, getting divorces, or even shaving their heads. These are the lives of today’s celebrities and they are the people who kids idolize. Can you imagine a world full of people who don’t have a care in the world other than about their personal image? That is how celebrities are and many kids and teens aspire to be just like them. They set a bad example of how you should live your life by messing up their own in the public eye. Today’s stars are often idolized by thousands, or even millions, of fans because the general public finds them to be inspiring, interesting, and shocking. What they don’t realize is that they are genuinely nothing but false idols.
Celebrities will star in movies and have huge hit songs that seemingly play hundreds of times over on the radio. They will get anywhere between thousands and millions of dollars to do this and then get put on all the magazine covers in stores. On average, a celebrity will make between 1.5 million dollars to 3 million dollars a year, but their want for more doesn’t ever seem to stop there. When one of them starts getting popular they will almost always somehow end up getting their own reality show or their own clothing line or modeling contract. They will start showing up on more and more popular shows like “Saturday Night Live” until they are satisfied with their popularity, but then it gives the impression that as soon as they are on top of their game they have to ruin everything for themselves. It’s as though once they get to the peak of their fame they think they should just start drinking and over-dosing and going to these crazy parties that get them in heaps of trouble. When kids and teens look up to these celebrities they aren’t only going to notice how fantastic their singing voice is or how great their last role was; they are also going to notice the greed and the scandals which will lead them to thinking this is what they have to do to be cool and fit in.
Celebrities know how much they influence kids, and especially teens. They know that if they do something extremely outrageous and dumb that people everywhere will either hear about it or see it for themselves. The part of them that makes them so vile is their lack of either common sense or negligence. The stars today don’t seem to care at all if their actions will lead to someone doing something that could hurt themselves because they wanted to be like their idol. For example, the ideal image of skinny is a major problem among teenage girls. They look at the pictures of celebrities on magazines that are everywhere by the check-out stands at grocery stores and they think that is what you have to do to look good. This is a crucial problem because the pressure celebrities have put on teens to be this extreme skinny weight makes them all dissatisfied with how they view themselves. Approximately 7 million people in the United States struggle with some kind of eating disorder and roughly 10% of anorexics will die from either lack of food or suicide.
Celebrities do not know how much how they act and what they do affects their fans or any person that hears about them. There is really no point in getting all worked up about something having to do with a celebrity’s life because it just boosts their already too large ego. Celebrities get paid too much to do what they do, they are overall greedy people, and they influence kids and teens in unacceptable ways. Even though people may find it fun and entertaining to watch celebrities’ lives, all they are doing is fueling the fire that is already blazing too strong.