Disney- Squeaky Clean or Suprisingly Sexual?

When something has the “Disney” label stamped on it, parents imminently assume that it’s clean for their children. But how clean is Disney, really?

Everyone has heard of the “secret sexual messages” in Disney classics, but are they really there? And if they are, are they meant to be? Sex may sell, but is that Disney’s philosophy?

I have viewed the most controversial movies, curious to see if these messages are really there. I have yet to catch some of them, but others are very clear. Take “The Lion King” for example. In the scene where Simba lies down and dust flies up in the air, it seems the word “sex” is spelled. I did see that, very clearly. Disney released a statement saying that the word is not “S-E-X” but “S-F-X” standing for special effects. The sad part is, a little boy started this controversy. It may depend on your own eyes, but pause the movie just as the dust starts flying up. My biology class paused it then, and we all saw the word sex. Maybe it’s our mind, but why would Disney risk even putting SFX? And then again, why would they need a word at all?

“Aladdin” is another controversial movie. Apparently, if you listen very closely, at one time in the movie, where Jasmine’s tiger attacks Aladdin, you can catch him saying “All good teenagers take off their clothes.” Again, Disney issued a statement saying that Aladdin’s line is sometime along the lines of “C’mon good kitty take off and go” Believable? The issue is, this part is underscored, and so either one is hard to hear. I personally didn’t catch it, but many people believe that it is there.

The movie with the most possible “sex references” is “The Little Mermaid.” The first issue was on the original video cover, the picture was of the main characters with King Triton’s castle in the background. The top of the castle looked like a penis to many. This uproar caused Disney to change the cover to the present day one. If you look at the old cover, it does look like a penis, but think; would you have noticed that on your own? I don’t think I would have. Another problem in the movie is in the scene Eric and Ariel are getting married. Complaints poured in about the priest having an erection, as he is shown perfectly normal in one shot and with an odd lump at the bottom of his robe in the next. Disney had another rebuttal for this, too, saying that it was simply the priest’s knee. I did not see a knee or an erection.

There are others, too. Supposedly naked cartoon women shown for a split second in “The Rescuers”, another in “Who Framed Roger Rabbit”, a dancing condom in the “Be Our Guest” scene of “Beauty and the Beast”. These may or may not be there, I have yet to look, nor do I care. If Disney wanted sex in its movies, then they probably wouldn’t have stopped with one subliminal message. Disney is known for creativity, though, seeing as they make cameo appearances of famous characters from other animated movies in the newer ones. This is fascinating, if you notice. Could the sex, if there is sex, have started as early as 1937 with the release of the first Disney animation, “Snow White”? When Snow White first encounters a dwarf, he seems nervous and exclaims “What are you and who are you doing?!” I don’t think this has anything to do with the later occurrences, but you never know.

One more lesser known controversial Disney message- the cute, classic and loveable characters of “Pooh Bear”. Some say the “secretly” stand for mental illnesses people have. Pooh represents a person with an eating disorder, or an obese person. Tigger is the portrayal of an ADHD child. Kanga shows an overprotective mother and Roo has separation anxiety. Piglet seems to have a type of general anxiety disorder or maybe panic disorder, while Owl is narcissistic. Rabbit shows OCD and Eyeore clearly has clinical depression. One may even go as far as to say Christopher Robin is Schizophrenic, but how can anyone assume that when we don’t know his age? Does this seem purposeful or just a very convenient mistake? Is classifying and diagnosing “Pooh Bear” characters going over the top?

This Disney controversy is decades old and still going strong. Most of them seem made up to me. I highly doubt the “Pooh Bear” characters were meant to be symbols of mental problems, but characters with personalities. What do you think? Are some of these “sexual references” all in a person’s mind or actually there?

wishingtheskywasbluerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:38 am:
those references are hilarious!!! great article. poor eyeore.

Shannan said...
Jun. 25, 2011 at 7:36 am:
I found this artical because I was actually resarching the Pooh Bear characters mental disability thing. I found this artical very interesting and writen so well. Everyone else that has a problem with it has issues.

amalie said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 7:01 pm:
Ok, can i please just say to those who think this was "disturbing" or who "thought it would be intresting" or phyco or creepy, that I did not come up with these supposed things in these movies. I researched alot of websites when someone said something to me and discovered there are people who really believed this! I looked on youtube and saw where they thought the "dirty" thing was, and the few disney movies i watched before i wrote this i was curious but i didnt find anything. &n... (more »)

HisPurePrincessThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 23, 2011 at 3:57 pm:
sorry, but I thought this was going to be interesting, and it just creeped me out.  I mean, I've never noticed anything of that, and Winnie the Pooh?  Seriously?  If they even did stand for that, I still like them!  Really, it just shows that people with those problems are still loveable!  And I don't think they refer to that.  Wow, who comes up with this?

Toaster said...
Mar. 22, 2011 at 9:31 am:
This is probably one of the most disturbing and psychopathic articles I have ever read. The fact that people have noticed these things is just weird. Any person that has the time to notice these weird things has to much time on their hands. I did enjoy the way the writter portrayed the subject.

Patriots said...
Mar. 18, 2011 at 5:34 pm:
this is a very weird yet intresting artical

Bren_Bren said...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 12:46 pm:

I think that that some just wants to find something to talk about and just has to much time on thier hands

hgw66 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 10, 2012 at 8:46 pm :
exactly....

amalie said...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 5:52 am:
when i wrote this, i wasn't entirely too sure what i thought, i mean the Lion King thing may not even be true. I thought i saw it b/c someone told me it was there (it took ALOT of rewinding!) but like the "munchkin hanging himself" in the wizard of oz, i'm starting to think this is all made up by sick minded teens and adults who want to make something so pure dirty.

InvisibleNerdGirl replied...
Mar. 12, 2011 at 8:06 pm :

Oh no! Poor munchkin!! :( But I would know if that were true, 'cos I watched the Wizard of Oz about eleventy billion times growing up and never saw that. :)

Also, this article was very well-written and I agree that all the things people were seeing were just urban legends. (Except for the Pooh Bear one, which is actually very interesting and could have been done to put some psychological heavy on otherwise very simple characters. :) )

flyingpinkgiraffesThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:42 pm:
honestly?  what reason would disney even have for all of this?  these ideas are ridiculous, just figments of some teenagers twisted imagination.

Keli123This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:40 pm:
i loved this article. it had the perfect balance of humor and seriousness. you're a prettygood writer and this was a interesting topic to write about. im not too sure what i think about these happening in the movies. i looked into a few of them since im on my computer right now. i did notice that the one about part of the castle on the little mermaid cover and the priest. it was funny. maybe there just doing that for the older teenagers who watch those movies with younger siblings so they have s... (more »)

WritingAngel20 said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 11:33 am:
That's weird, i need to go back and see if that's true for myself but to notice that, some people need to get some hobbies, a job, or do something with their lives.

Bren_Bren replied...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 12:02 am :
Lolz I agree!!

Bren_Bren replied...
Mar. 11, 2011 at 12:06 am :
Ikr cause thats to much time noticing all of that Lolz..... I agree!!

MusicBunny4595.7 said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 8:29 am:
Ok. If Disney is doing this then I have three eyes. It's just rabid imaginations of people who  spend a little too much time in the movies.

amalie said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 6:06 am:
and I HAVE to tell you i looked at yours, and Idina Menzel and Kristen Chenowith are 2 of my fav music artists ever <3333 btw thanks for your comment, i agree with you alot of this is insane. when i heard the pooh bear rumor i just laughed lol. pooh bear characters representing mental disorders? xD

krazykathleen replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:45 pm :
Ohhh that's so cool!!:) I totally agree.. great article.:)

krazykathleen said...
Mar. 9, 2011 at 5:29 pm:

Omg!!! I just checked out your profile and I love Brit Nicole's "Lost Get Found" too!! I listened to it today!!:)

Haha sorry I had to tell you.:)

amalie replied...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 6:07 am :
(sorry my comment was supposed to be a reply:P)