Bad Advertisement | Teen Ink

Bad Advertisement

January 17, 2011
By 1schallhorn SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
1schallhorn SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

In this advertisement, Veet® is introducing a new hair removal gel product. Veet® has created a new formula with twice as many moisturizers and a special new scent. This new formula contains Aloe Vera and Vitamin E for sensitive skin. It also generates a cure for dry skin with a Shea Butter blend.

Veet® products target women in the middle twenties. This particular advertisement has a thin woman, roughly 23 years of age, sitting in a white chair. This woman has dark curled hair to correlate with her crimped black dress. The petite dress accentuates her long legs. Her hands are placed on her legs, with one leg fully extended. She is modeling black high heels for the illusion of longer legs.

The Veet® logo and slogan, “What beauty feels like.TM ” is located in the upper right hand corner. To the right of the woman, a statement that reads, “With legs this touchably smooth, my little black dress can be as little as I want.” The bottom of the advertisement contains the hair removal product with information about its new formula.

This advertisement is giving women an impression about Veet® products. The false slogan, “What beauty feels like.TM ” is persuading the audience to believe that they will not be beautiful without Veet® products. Women may feel that in order to be beautiful, they must buy Veet® products. Fear is what bribes readers into purchasing this product.

The emaciated woman has perception of a beautiful woman. She has an attractive, slender black dress and eye-catching shoes. Her long hair is thick and curled. Her makeup makes her skin appear to be perfect—no blemishes, wrinkles, or freckles.

The context, “With legs this touchably smooth, my little black dress can be as little as I want.” uses symbolism to state that the more you use this hair removal product, the more you will want to show off your legs. This may give the audience a sexual connection to the hair removal product. The technique used to position this woman, creates a reflection of light off her legs—giving a plastic or fake effect. This effect gives readers an impression of extra smooth, moisturized and shiny legs via the product.

With just a glance as this advertisement, it seems innocent. But, when closely inspected, the unpleasant subtext is portrayed.