Why I Don't Like Justin Bieber

Justin Bieber, the iconic Canadian teen pop star. Cause of so many swishy, bowl-like haircuts in North America and beyond. Writer of such deep, thought provoking lyrics as “Baby, baby, baby, oh-Like baby, baby, baby, no-Like baby, baby, baby, oh” Player of millions of girls across America. He has come to rule our nation, seemingly overnight.

You can probably tell by now, I really, really, don’t like him. But that isn’t to say I don’t respect him. I do respect him, because I have to. A guy who can cause millions of girls to fall in love with him, simply by singing shallow songs in a high, girly voice, deserves our respect. A guy who can maintain his image of a ladies man, while claiming that his favorite color and animal are purple and dolphins respectively, deserves our respect. A guy who was born with an innate musical ability, and taught himself to play multiple instruments, deserves our respect. And so, as much as it pains my cynical, world-hating self to do so, I respect Justin Bieber.

However, as I said before, I really, really, don’t like him. I am someone who values individualism and self-expression over all else, and so everything I hate is embodied by Justin Bieber. He is a corporate image, a puppet used to make money. He has allowed himself to be molded, from a respectable, ten year old street busker from a lower middle-class family, into a pop culture drone. He is no longer his own person, but an object, manipulated and changed by the wants of the public. He spends too much time on his hair, and others spend to much time on his image.

Anyone can see that he loves what he does. He really enjoys making music and performing, a passion which I share and respect. But, anyone can also see that he is crippling our countries youth. By spreading his message of consumerism and fitting-in, he is completely reversing the 70’s. It used to be that music was about breaking from the norm, and being your own person. Now music defines the norm, putting down anyone who defies it, and Bieber is a shining example of this.

But some part of me still respects him even for this. After all, he has played the system. Used the droning masses to build himself an empire. He herded the flock of sheep that is America’s youth, and used them to drive the motor of his success.

Lauren_Young14 said...
Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:43 am:
I do respect your opinion, because everyone should be able to have their own. Although, i disagree totally. Justin is flowing with talent, he is his own person completely. His music does teach people to be individual, to believe in themselves, and to never give up on their dreams. Thats what he conveys on a day-to-day basis. The media explodes all of his tiny moves into a storm of lies and hate. If you want to have a true and valid opinion on something you hav... (more »)

Dancer1 said...
Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:48 am:
I can understand how you can think that he is shallow, but he isnt. i dont think he planed on being discovered on Youtube. And it is just a hair cut, so it doesnt really matter what his hair was like. also he cant control how his voice sounds.    But then again, im a Belieber.

Jess15 said...
I can't stand Justin Bieber!!! I do not, nor will I ever have Bieber Fever! He is so overrated. He disgusts me.

AngelBaby94 said...
May 28, 2012 at 12:04 pm:
I love it! :)

Silver2blackThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jan. 23, 2012 at 1:27 am:
As much fame Justin has, I think many peolpe say wat they don't like about him, than wat they like about him. I like that he's happy for himself. But I'm quite annoyed by girlish looking boys nowadays. He could change some stuff about him, leave some stuff behind, not a teen anymore. I'm sorry for many dislikes about him, but I am with the dislikes.

Wordgasm said...
May 12, 2011 at 7:55 pm:

Hey guys, this artticle has 400 views... and 9 ratings? please rate!!! Whether you loved it or hated it please please please rate and let me know!! :) thanks :)

flyingpinkgiraffes This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 10, 2011 at 3:51 pm:
love the sarcasism! :-)

Wordgasm replied...
May 12, 2011 at 7:49 pm :
 :) thanks

classicme said...
Feb. 2, 2011 at 6:43 pm:
I think this is so true :P lol

bkrfhregbhgow said...
Jan. 28, 2011 at 9:44 am:
Cody Simpson is better than Justin Bieber !

Wordgasm replied...
May 12, 2011 at 7:50 pm :

If I knew who Cody Simpson was... I might agree with you :)

silence-is-loud said...
I used to like Justin Bieber... but i dont know, he just got old to me quickly. I love the part when you said, " A guy who can cause millions of girls to fall in love with him, simply by singing shallow songs in a high, girly voice, deserves our respect." thats hilarious! :)

Wordgasm replied...
May 12, 2011 at 7:53 pm :

Love the name :) I'm glad to hear that you have experienced the revalation which millions of teenage girls will experience within the next couple years :p And, it's true... You have to respect the dude for it. I'll respect anyone who can pull that off :) glad to hear you liked it :)