A False Love

Every one always talks about how much media affects young people, but im not sure if any one ever really gives it a thought. Have you ever paid close attention to the lyrics of a song? Almost 80% of the songs you hear on the radio are love songs, right? But if you think about the true meaning of those words your thoughts might change.

These day’ artists write their songs upon the lines of either hooking up at a club and “falling in love” like Taio Cruz or long lasting fairy tale love, like Taylor Swift. Both of which are very misleading to today’s youth. I mean yes, Taylor Swift does give you a glimmer of hope as to your future love life. There is a very small chance your going to think some waiter is cute go out and live happily ever after like in her song “Best Thing That’s Ever Been Mine”.

I know that it may seem like your ripping the hope out of kids ever finding love, but its unrealistic. It’s either toughen them up for reality or have millions of disappointed youth who are upset because they can’t seem to find a prince charming.

Personally I wish there were enough perfect guys for all of the probably amazing out there, but the truth is that there isn’t. Some times you have to go through heart break to find a perfect match. This is not fate, its LIFE!

It’s not only misleading girls. Many artist such a Usher and Kanye West are persuading guys in today’s society too. Not many girls really are going to have a long time commitment with you after you hooked up at a club, or made out at a party. It’s not love!
I find it mentally abusive to use someone for a night, to lure them in, make them feel special only to go home and tell his friends and never speak to her again. (maybe to talk about child support!)

I just wish songs were centered around realistic goals. Yes these songs are uplifting, catchy and make you feel good. The truth is, it’s lies and trash. I love you Taio and Taylor but really feed America some truth for a change!

KatsCool said...
If you read this article please post a comment! Id love to hear your insight. Thanks!:)

In The Know said...
Wow! You are a great writer and very smart! I loved A Day at the Beach too! Very touching. Keep up the good work. I look forward to reading more of your pieces in the future!

KatsCool replied...
Nov. 15, 2010 at 11:06 am :
wow thanks so much!

Westy said...
Nov. 12, 2010 at 11:50 am:
Your aunt Beth gave me the link.  This is a very well written article full of insight for such a young person.  You are on the right track and I hope your words influence some other young folks.

KatsCool said...
Nov. 11, 2010 at 10:49 am:
Wow i really liked your article! read my poem "A day at the beach"

BlackHoleHighAlumniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Nov. 6, 2010 at 8:15 am:
Completely agree! Very well-written article. Check out mine called "A Love Like That"...it's pretty much about the same thing!

KatsCool replied...
Nov. 11, 2010 at 9:51 am :
Thanx, and ill read yours

jahhobbs replied...
Nov. 12, 2010 at 1:59 pm :
  I teach at a High School in North Carolina, and hope that every young lady will read your article. I see/hear too often how these songs influence our teens!  Way to go, and keep writing!

BlackHoleHighAlumniThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Nov. 12, 2010 at 2:57 pm :
Thank you very much! and once again, great article.