Is Katy Perry smarter than you think? | Teen Ink

Is Katy Perry smarter than you think?

October 5, 2010
By cowboyhiphop BRONZE, Folsom, California
cowboyhiphop BRONZE, Folsom, California
1 article 0 photos 2 comments

Have you ever heard a Katy Perry song on the radio? Of course you have, and I know what you thought of the song. But, even though Katy's songs have a sickly sweet layer her songs go much deeper. Lets take her first hit, I kissed a girl. When I heard this song, I was immediately appalled. To me it was just another party song, but as I thought about it I considered the irony of its lyrics. Television and other media portrays being gay or lesbian as you just kiss a girl and you like it, even though that’s a silly idea. Could Katy Perry be making a statement? With California Gurls it was much more obvious. Coming from California, the first time I heard this song I thought it sound nothing like the California I know. I realized that this song could be considered a statement on what people think of when they think of California, LA. Now I was getting suspicious, was this a fluke? Could Katy Perry secretly be a genius? I decided to put it off, but soon Katy struck again. After Teenage Dream came out I immediately looked for the irony, and I found it. Teenage Dream’s sweet lyrics speak of puppy love and going ‘all the way’ but, I think Katy Perry is hinting at how our culture makes sex seem innocent even though it can result in getting sick or becoming pregnant, how’s that for ‘staying young forever’? After seeing how much depth goes into a song, I have a new respect for pop and how it impacts us whether we like it or not. So if you agree with my thoughts of Katy Perry’s songs or not, you have to agree that our music WILL change us and our culture, no matter what.


The author's comments:
Katy Perry's secret message in her songs