Should Celebrties Be Among the Highest Paid?

June 11, 2010
By bdallas SILVER, Franklin, Virginia
bdallas SILVER, Franklin, Virginia
8 articles 7 photos 8 comments

According to a recent survey, only 30% of Americans said that the government should limit the pay of athletes, movie stars, and other professional entertainers. From these statistics, we can surmise that the remaining 70% of the populace believe that professional athletes and entertainers warrant enough merit to be among the highest paid in our country. I, however, concur with the 30% of our populace; professional athletes and entertainers do not deserve to be among the highest remunerated in our country and should at least have their salaries restricted to rectify this situation. While the famous few may be idolized by the masses, we fail to comprehend that they contribute very little to our society, asides from being taxpayers, and to put it bluntly, famous. What may appear to be an endeavor to assist the less auspicious is really just a convoluted scheme of the celebrities that is intent on gaining the support of the masses.
As I mentioned previously, the clandestine motives of a celebrity that donates to a charitable foundation may not be what it seems. What few people fail to grasp is that by aiding the less auspicious, celebrities receive heartening media exposure and endorsements that further help to fill their bank accounts. The fact that some professional athletes and entertainers are so infatuated by avarice as to pretend that they are actually concerned about the well-being of the less fortunate is incredulous! It is my belief that if professional athletes and entertainers were not compensated with such high salaries, financial assistance could be sent to individuals in need without the vague impression of some sort of ulterior motive being present.
Sure, professional athletes and entertainers may offer us a somewhat amusing variety of entertainment, but what have they actually done that has had an influential impact on our contemporary society? In essence, they are being compensated with an implausibly high salary for negligible efforts and obligations in their occupation. So why then, do they receive these preposterously high salaries? It is my belief that humanity believes that they have done something worth such merit, but in all actuality, it is precisely the opposite. If a student cheats on a test or exam, but still receives an A, does that student still truly deserve to receive that grade? The same principle holds true with professional athletes and entertainers: why be rewarded for something that you did not do yourself or was of very little significance? I shall leave you with my final idea, if there is a celebrity that in all sincerity believes they deserve to be making as much money as they do, then why don’t they do something meaningful to confirm it?

The author's comments:
Part of a summer assignment for Dual Enrollment English next year. We had a mock college scholarship/application essay, supposed to be approximately 250 words. Kinda obvious I went over that limit.

Similar Articles


This article has 3 comments.

BowenAdela said...
on Mar. 3 2013 at 8:41 am
If you are in not good state and have got no cash to get out from that, you will require to receive the home loans. Because it should aid you emphatically. I get credit loan every single year and feel myself good just because of that.

bdallas SILVER said...
on Nov. 24 2010 at 10:10 am
bdallas SILVER, Franklin, Virginia
8 articles 7 photos 8 comments
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Yes, they are human beings like everyone else, but my point is that they don't deserve to be making as much money as they currently do.

on Nov. 23 2010 at 9:16 pm
no    they're just  people if i made a track album it doesn't mean im a star


MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!