The Growing Monster, Known as the Media

Fact: Roughly only half the media we read is true. Most of which, is exaggerated.

Media (mee-dee-uh) –all means of communication such as newspapers, magazines, radio, and television.

Everywhere I turn our society is consumed with the media. Magazine headlines read, “Good Girl Gone Bad”, the news informs us on the latest details of golf star, Tiger Woods, cheating scandal and the radio tells of Octomom’s (Nadya Suleman’s) new problems.

Private (prahy-vit) –not open to, or controlled by, the public.

The private lives of these well-known people are the target of gossip columns. Once secrets are unveiled it makes it as if none of these celebrities have privacy. Prying into someone’s life and making it public without one’s consent is wrong. In turn, however, this does not justify what the person is doing to be ok; but it would be easier for the individual to deal with these matters in private.

Curiosity (kyoo r-ee-os-i-tee) –eagerness to know about something.

What is it that draws us to read more about these scandals, to turn the channel and learn the latest details? It is the instinct of interest and curiosity to know the dirt on someone else (although we would never reveal are own) that is lurking within us all. We as a whole are the ones who hunger for the nonsense. We are the reason these celebrities struggle to keep a private life. We are the ones who feed the growing monster, known as the Media.