I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

SamEMajorThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 5:22 am:
The way I look at it, if it really irritates you this much, don't listen to her music or watch interviews. It's really that simple. I agree with your stance to an extent, but I also believe that Lady Gaga has brought in a new era of love and peace that other pop musicians have just thrown out and antagonized. Why write about something that irritates you when you can just get over it?

Jose4Jesus replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 2:39 pm :

I was pointing out the irrationality while mimicking the original writer's tone. Obviously, you did not catch that.

So same to you, honey.

cretalakairaThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:18 pm :
Sam, thank you so much for your comment. Thank you for showing that Gaga is all about love and not hate. Thank you.

pink pompom replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 6:32 pm :
just an opinion, but i think katie_potatie has it rite...simmer down, folks... its just a pop star, unless you love her.

Jose4Jesus replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 7:01 pm :

"unless you love her"

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't absolutely loathe Lady GaGa. What I dislike if all you fangirls saying that it's alright to say your opinion if it's positive, but if it's a negative thought, you tell the person to "calm down" or "shut up."

It's irrational.

If you believe in freedom of speech or if you want others to be quiet, you start. 

Thanks, have a great day.

pink pompom replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 9:21 pm :
sorry, jose4jesus, swear i wasnt tryna tick you off! im not really an all-out "fan-girl"... not as in , "she can do no wrong." i just thought we should try and remain semi-civil...=D  GO, freedom of (polite) speech!!

WallEtheUnicorn said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 2:05 am:
Okay...Firstly, Lady Gaga's fans are not all girls and not all of them are teenagers. Lady Gaga promotes being who you are and yes...she can get outrageous and cross the line sometimes. However, she's a way better role model for people than some other female singers these days. You make some good points but really? An article about how much you don't like a celebrity....

andromeda13 said...
Jul. 30, 2011 at 6:41 pm:
honestly if everyone wrote an article about what celebrity they didn't like and why this website would be very boring for alot of pple. Get over it, she is just another person trying too make a living. Good artcile horible subject

Alicia said...
Jul. 23, 2011 at 1:57 am:
I'm a 17 y.o girl too and I also strongly dislike Lady Gaga for the same reasons you dislike her =D

AddieDay said...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 11:15 pm:
I completely agree with this article. It's also very well written and convincing. Good job!

introducingshelby said...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 5:32 pm:
I like Lady Gaga but I also like what you have to say about her. You made a really good argument :D

CookeysAndCream said...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 10:47 am:

Like most other sixteen year-old girls in America, I like listening to Lady Gaga's music. I know I'm being manipulated, but in this case I've just given up trying to fight back. I don't care for her insane videos or fashion stunts. But I do care for her voice, and the be-yourself power ballads. I really did try to fight it off. I'm anti-mainstream in a way that almost reaches hipster levels. But I still like Gaga. I'm willing to ignore the superficial nature of it all for a great album, just... (more »)

HopefulWolf This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 13, 2011 at 10:51 am:

I was born this way!

Lady Gaga supports being proud of who you are, even if someone makes fun of you or writes a mean essay and post it online. Of course there were about a million things in this article I agree with, but I will not ask her to alter herself just because of the person I am.

far.from.you. said...
Jul. 11, 2011 at 9:58 pm:
Lady gaga is a wise, inspring, and truthful indivdual no matter what you say..

neverminde replied...
Jul. 12, 2011 at 1:53 am :
you know nothing especially the true understanding of the word "wise"...

pink pompom replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 11:39 am :

jeez, guys, chill out! :) its all cool- good artist, good messages...weird hair...

its a good peice of writing, tho we don,t agree with it. lets all step baaaaccckkk....!

Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:19 pm :
Thank you far.from.you.! That's exactly what I think. I really agree with you, she changed my life.

redhairCat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 5, 2011 at 10:46 pm:
I like Lady Gaga, but I can see your point! She has a great voice - just needs to write songs that don't have to do with sex or partying

pink pompom replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 6:29 pm :
okayyyy, redhairCat --you go! needs different themes maybe, but its all ok! no one is being forced to listen to her:) lets all be a lil calmer... anyone out there agree??

redhairCat This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 11, 2011 at 12:03 am :
I'm not getting hysterical over her music themes, if that's what you mean!

Leisie said...
Jul. 2, 2011 at 2:40 pm:
A witty, truthful article. There should be more like this.