I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

Blah_blah_blah said...
I hate it when people post negative comments on a perfectly well written article like this.  If you don't like the writers opinion then why did you read it.  The title very CLEARLY sys "I Don't Like Lady Gaga" ...also   I must include that I've seen enough rude comments on youtube   this is NOT youtube  it is Teenink  so I think we should carry ourselves as dignified and talented writers  NOT negative individuals.  E... (more »)

freeflow23 said...
FYI to all the people who commented before me, I don't think the author of this cares whether you like Lady Gaga or not. She just wants to know if she's a good writer. (And for the record she is.)

CSHCSH This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 1, 2011 at 4:22 am :
I definetely agree.

Bookworm1998 replied...
Sept. 23, 2011 at 7:33 pm :
i agree with u 100% i definately liked the last line of her article -great finish

HannSawyer15 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Couldn't agree with you more!

savetheplanet said...
You have a good point, and I don't agree with everything she does.  But I do have to point out that most artists have some issues.  Maybe the best art comes from people who aren't entirely normal and can see the world differently than you do.  So I can agree with you up to a point, half her songs are innappropriate and she's outlandish.  But she uses her body as part of her art and I can respect that.  And to be honest about her innappropriate songs, they're not near as ... (more »)

Lola_Black replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 5:56 pm :
I agree with you completely. Lady Gaga's extreme costumes are just part of the art! And as long as she is encouraging us all to love ourselves, she is definately a role model in my book.

savetheplanet replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 8:38 pm :
:D Yah love yourselves people!

RoweenaKanj said...
I completely agree! Great writing. :D

sweetdollsarah said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 10:59 am:
Sure Lady Gaga is out there, but if you think about it isn't she teaching us all that we are all a little out there in our own quricky ways and that yes like me, you can be a total fashion obsessed girl who loves heels and dresses and stays up on the trends, but I can still be my crazy quirky self. And thats what Lady Gaga is all about. You can be someone who no one thinks will ever change you can be someone who is so out there that it seems impossible to reach you, but in true fact we are all j... (more »)

savetheplanet replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 2:07 pm :
Completely true sweetdollsarah, I mean come on who goes out of the house looking like they just crawled out of bed?  Maybe you don't wear makeup are anything like that but you still brush your hair and try to wear something nice don't you?  Don't get me wrong, sometimes I think that Lady Gaga goes overboard.  I mean, a meat dress? That's just gross and a waste of food.  But for the most part I think she does ridiculous outfits and crazy things to show that she can embrace the... (more »)

cretalakaira This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:18 pm :
I completely agree with you. Thank you for not hating on Gaga like so many other people have. She teaches us to be ourselves like she has. 

savetheplanet replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 4:05 pm :
You're welcome.  I'm completely on your side on this. :D

CCatt said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 9:58 am:
Agree completely! Thank you for writing this!

PorcelainValentine said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 9:27 am:

whats wrong with being outlandish nobody wants to see the same thing over and over

plus she stands out

Aug. 10, 2011 at 3:13 pm :
Thank you! Everyone trashing Gaga, I love you for saying that. Thank you.

Jose4Jesus said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 6:02 am:

"Mean essay post." lol

If she supports being who she is, why must she wear high heels, why does she color her hair, why must she perform vulgar, sensual dance moves? As far as I am concerned, she is telling little girls that unless they look and act like they're from another planet, they are not special, because Lady Gaga doesn't make much of herself without being provocative and outlandish. She takes her meaning in what she does and what she looks like- not "who she is."

SamEMajor This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 5:22 am:
The way I look at it, if it really irritates you this much, don't listen to her music or watch interviews. It's really that simple. I agree with your stance to an extent, but I also believe that Lady Gaga has brought in a new era of love and peace that other pop musicians have just thrown out and antagonized. Why write about something that irritates you when you can just get over it?

Jose4Jesus replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 5:54 am :
Then for the same reason, why comment? If you disagree with this essay, why write about it when you can just get over it?

Katie_Potatie replied...
Aug. 10, 2011 at 9:44 am :
Rude much? Wow, I think you should be the bigger person, if that's possible. :) SamEMajor was just stateing an opinion, as were you. Let it go, and grow up sweetie. ThanksKBye(: