I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

Waka $inamon:) said...
Sept. 13, 2011 at 9:24 am
Don't make fun of her! She was BORN THIS WAY!

songofsongs replied...
she wasn't born this way...nobody is! that song was just an excuse she used for all her critics. by saying she was 'born this way' is like telling people it's right and ok to flash your breasts in public and walk around the streets half naked. it's not ok!

Pumpkinscout said...
Sept. 12, 2011 at 11:53 am
She is over the top for sure. But so are a lot of other singers, movie stars, famous people. Good fame machine analogy!

Live&&Love said...
I couldn't care less about Lady Gaga but I absolutely adore what she stands for and she is a huge inspiration to me!!

Emerald_love said...
Well I agree with this article. She is taking things over the top... 

sammyjanee This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Regardless of how I feel about Lady Gaga, I think this article was really, really good.  It's easy to see you did research and backed up your points.  It was refreshing to hear someone give a good reason to dislike her besides her being "weird"... I agree with everything you've said.

Liv297 said...
I disagree with most of this article , but you prove a very good point, and this was really well written :) good work

iW0ntRunThisTime said...

Okay, can I just get my opinion on the subject out before I talk about the writing? I can't help myself. So, I really didn't enjoy reading this because of the voice. The "blasphemy alert" thing? Oh, come on, it's no different to any of the other teenagers out there telling themselves they're special, they know something most people don't, they haven't been "brainwashed". And then trying to rationalize why you don't like her, when the real reason is everyone does. If you're implying peo... (more »)

FreedomIsMyVirtue said...
Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:45 am
I may not be her number one fan but I love, love, love Lady Gaga. She is simply true to herself and she sings about what she likes to sing. She is just being true and she says it's good to be different, not weird. She wears "weird" outfit because it what she likes. That's all. Thank you.

andromeda13 said...
Aug. 17, 2011 at 8:22 am
honestly if everyone wrote an article about what celebrity they didn't like and why this website would be very boring for alot of pple. Get over it. Good artcile horible subject

pink pompom said...
NOT what i meant.... ah well...:(

Lizette said...
I agree with what you wrote.  But also, good job on the writing!  It was very persuasive!

jemi said...
Aug. 12, 2011 at 11:56 am
I am not a teenager but I totally think that Lady Gaga is the most horrible role model out there today. She needs to put some clothes on, get up off the floor, learn to sing and start thinking about all the young ones that are watching her. What message is she sending to those kids ?How sleezy, think of only yourself folks, dress up like a freak  to get attention. How about being your true self not some phony piece of meat. Most of all the woman or whatever she is CAN'T SING!!!!!!. Loved yo... (more »)

Haley141516 replied...
Aug. 14, 2011 at 2:35 am
Well not to be rude or anything, but who are you to say if someone can't sing! In my honest opinion i think she can sing, i really don't like gaga to much but seriously dont be rude. Also it's not her fault if children watch it, it's the parents fault they should be watching their children. And i bet you wouldnt have the guts to say all they rude and hurtful words in your post to Gaga herself, now would you i didnt think so. Well GOOD-DAY MISS!

jemi replied...
I sure would say them to her if I had the opportunity. I really think she is very sad.

FreedomIsMyVirtue replied...
Aug. 23, 2011 at 1:49 am
Lady Gaga can sing. Go watch her live. She can sing and she sings better with her piano. She is just being true to her and doing what is fun for her. She is an entertainer, not a Barbie doll so don't expect her to be oh-so goody-goody. And if people are intelligent, they will know this. And if children are intelligent, they will choose who they will imitate. It's not Gaga's fault if they imitate her or not.

Bnanaman312 replied...
Sept. 15, 2011 at 10:37 am
Lady Gaga is a really good singer and that's what I think. She may be a little weird but I still think she is a good singer and a pretty cool person

soldout said...
OK, seriously. The Public. reply if u totally agree with this article. These days the fame and fortune are getting into the heads of celebs and turning them into aliens just to be accepted. But its nobody's benefit. And our social beliefs are getting screwed up. Someone tell me they get it!

blacksteve replied...
Face it the mindless sheep of this country will buy anything, believe anything as long as it's marketed on MTV. Why do u think so many people like jersey shore?

soldout replied...

lol ;)

I don't know, to be honest. I guess jersey shore is fame-fueled too and these days fame-fuelers grab more peoples attention then the "Unpopular" talented ones