I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

Neytiri said...
Oh my God. I thought I was the only person (female) who had this opinion on this particular woman. I totally agree with you girl! I think she is far too over the top and is arrogant , hypocritical and extremely provocative. Very good article and I am totally agreeing with you. Well done! x

nik123 said...
i totally disagree with i am sorry but i do she does it is because she had a tough life when she was little and no matter how she dresses she always has fans.

Tcoolgirl said...
I really like this and agree with you. :) your article is really well written

sparkles64 said...
i love it i dont like lady either

treesplease22 said...
i love the article and im a fan of lady gaga. i think what the author says is correct and very true. but lady gaga's lyrics are not only about sex and money. yes she does have a song called "Money honey" but who doesn't want some more cash every now and then? i do believe that our civilization all in itself is surrounding money and sex. but gaga also writes about love and breakups. she expresses that being different is okay and should be accepted. 
(like you said) im not saying you hav... (more »)

mbreezy replied...
Nov. 28, 2011 at 8:16 am :
Wowo I do not like her either she is an illumnati(on google look up lady gaga illuminate).She is teaching children to be crazy (no offense) hobnockers.

mr who cares? replied...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:13 pm :
she also sings about poker faces

moveslikejagger replied...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 4:34 pm :
Lady Gaga may not be my favourite pop star, but she is a role model for both LGBTQ and straight people alike. That takes SKILLS!

ReadWriteBreathe said...
We never needed lady gaga to tell us its ok to be different but she did. And did it help? Yeah. So many teenagers can be themselves because they look at lady gaga and realize that she isn't afraid to be herself. Sure, she used to be an everyday person but everyone starts out "Normal". She just changed. She found herself. Other than that. Amazing article. Very well written.

ultimatekai said...
Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:15 am:

I agree with this article in the sense that Lady Gaga does use shock value to gain fame. However, all the money she earns she puts right back into producing her concerts (no joke, she has stated that she barely keeps any of the money for herself). On top of that, she has used her fame and status to promote various charities and speak out for gay rights.

So I feel like even if she is abusing the shock value, she's at least putting more into the world than, say, Justin Bieber. When's the... (more »)

CleverScreenNameThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I don't believe this. What is the definition of normal anyways? To some it could just be your girl next door going to school everyday, to others it could be finally feeling great in their own skin, expressing themselves in whatever fashion they desire. I believe that's what Lady GaGa is doing. She may be critcized for going "over the top" or "inhuman" like, but I believe it's just our society's perception of her. I believe that in her own way, this is how she feels normal. I don't think she chan... (more »)

GINGERgirl423 replied...
Nov. 6, 2011 at 12:49 am :
I'm pretty sure lady gaga just does all that to get noticed. The more "creative" her wardrobe, the more viewers. Hipsters are taking over society. Call me old fashioned, but songs and outfits like hers don't make much sense. I could right a lady gaga song right now, I need growling, random words, and a half nude music video. I'll be a hit. The beat to her music is catchy, but the price for fame these days shouldn't be your clothing.

RumMonkey replied...
Jan. 3, 2012 at 4:28 am :
^Agreed. Her music isn't anything ground-breaking or extraordinary.

ThatGirlOverthere said...

Great great article! Though I disagree with some points, but still.

You managed to express your opinin with solid arguments; and yet, you also give the reader space; your point of view is mature and not sufocating. Your language is clear and simple without ever being plain. 

You wrote a wonderful article. Congratulations!

oh, by the way: doesn't anyone want to comment my articles?  ;)

Naomi518 said...
Oct. 15, 2011 at 10:38 am:
this is exactly what I've been thinking! I just have never been able to work it so well!

LovelyNotes said...

everyone takes her as this amazing person, so true and real.

but she's just so fake. 

trevorRocks said...
well i Love lady GaGa i love her music mostly

Mystiecub said...

-Hmm.

I don't write articles like this (this is good btw, but I disagree with it) just for the fact that people will instantly jump down someone else's throat for shunning a music artist they are in favor of. It's like this article on Justin Bieber that I came across, I saw a LOT of comments saying how the haters are just jealous, blah blah blah

I suppose I should get to the point.

Lady Gaga is strange, yes, but she is unique. She can sing, she's talented, and actually DO... (more »)

lzcelloplayer said...

This article was well written and I very much agree with your opinion. I'm not much of a fan of pop music, and I do see now a days that music isn't about music anymore, just about the attention that the media gives to people who do outrageous things. Though that's my opinion, feel free to disagree with me. 

Keep up the good writing! :D

HeavSide Forever said...
Sept. 23, 2011 at 8:17 am:
I do agree with all the above comments, anyway you must consider the fact that Lady Gaga is also a human being. If Lady Gaga is your own mum (mother) and I do hope that you will hate those who hate her.....so let ignore the way she acts but consider that she is also a human being sent from god to show her own talent to all us and we must be proud of her because she able to show it rather than hiding. Anyway, the article is sound good......really like it heeee