I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

Celeste_N. said...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 10:03 am:
Yall are just haters!!!! Yall dont know what she's been through all her life!! Just because she's different from other singers yall like doesnt mean you can judge her because of what she has become!!! She's a true inspiration...she doesnt care what she looks like or anything!! Yall are haters and just plain bullies!!! i hate this written work and all the people who don't like Lady GaGa!!! Selfish people dont always get what they want!!

CorrinaElisabeth replied...
Dec. 22, 2011 at 6:36 pm :
I agree, she's not hating on Lady Gaga. Having a differing opinion isn't hating.

mr who cares? replied...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm :
yall!? haha who says yall! ahem no offence of course. but i agree! lady gaga stinks and just because she has had a hard life dosent mean she needs to act like a weirdo

Hacker replied...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:52 pm :
Haters are just confused lovers. :3

1Derful_Music replied...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 1:10 pm :
Ok, so Lady Gaga has been through a lot in her life. Well, so has half of the world. If GaGa had been through a lot, then she should be proud of who she is and how she stayed that person through the hard times, not dressing up in disguise and faking. Yeah, she's being different and she has right to do so, but i don't tink you have the right to say you hate everyone who doesn't lke GaGa; that's just prejudiced. Everyone's got an opinion, and we all gotta respect that!

vazenitran98 replied...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 2:14 pm :
True,nobody's hating. It's just the truth. Leave people to their own opinions unless you want your own opinion changed.

chloe_garrett replied...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:52 am :
Actually no. If youve ever seen a lady gaga interveiw, she just got more comfortable with the music scene and everyone looking at her and realized she can be herself without anyone judging her (maybe she didnt think about unthoughtful people like some of you up there) and she also states that she even dressed like that with fun outfits and hair and makeup when she was a little girl. AND there are pics of it. Lady gaga is just finally comfortable with herself and doesnt care anymore. Do people te... (more »)

Mjjames2016 said...
Music isnt supposed to be anything,  much like writing.

Mjjames2016 said...
I think you did an amzing  job writing this article, I also agree that im not a fan of her music but as far as her outrageous costumes and theatrical performances go your wrong. I am completly shocked that, you, as a writer, would feel that way.  She is not getting attention but pushing limits, creating something that wasnt there before.  I said before I dont care for music but she should be looked up to for being different, not jut an average being.  She doesnt care that a s... (more »)

shadow song said...
i think you put it perfectly.Music is meant to be beautiful,right?cultural,not insane.not menial.inspirational.

Mjjames2016 replied...
Dec. 19, 2011 at 6:39 pm :

AmyLee-FTW replied...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 8:30 pm :
I completly agree. Music is basically sound, it doesn't have to sound one way or another.

Mjjames2016 replied...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 9:19 pm :
Ha I can scribble down a bad representation of a duck and call it amazing art.  Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, no one can tell me its not art.

AmyLee-FTW replied...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 9:36 pm :
Exactly, if I tell you what you can and can't do and I can't title what you do as "this" or "that".

KatsviewThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 6:04 pm :
Right-- like how Picasso changed the art industry and practically invented cubism and whatnot.

ekaterinahansing said...
Air high five! You go kid! You write with creditable passion. I'm with you all the way!!

Amekage said...
Dec. 16, 2011 at 4:23 am:
This was article was very well written. I'm glad you decided to post this, not neccessarily because I agree with it (which I do), but because it shows that you have some guts. From all the previous comments, it looks like you've stepped on toes, but isn't that what this style of writing is about? Getting your point out there, whether people agree with you or not is the soul of this "genre". Kudos on the amazing article.

Tesha17 said...
wow. you really caught everything didn't you? i really like the artical, and though i like her songs i agree she might be a little desprate for attention. who walks around in a dress of meat? that's gross!

chloe_garrett replied...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:53 am :
ITS METAPHORIC! GOSHHHHH.

laura28772 said...
This is really interesting, although i dont agree with some points it is interesting to see other's point of view and how they see things. Well done for speaking your mind! :)

shoxie95 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Great job! I honestly thought I was the only teenage girl that felt this way! You put everything into words in a way I never could! Again, great job!