I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

chloe_garrett said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:45 am
I completely disagree. Lady gaga is a very creatve person and an inspiration to just... be yourself no matter what anyone else thinks of you. Her "crazy tiresome (blah blah blah whatever else you said) outfits" are her way of expressing herself and you need to either respect that or not write a reveiw on something that a lot of people will disagree with you completely about. Lady gaga stands for something great. IDC what you think.

ConstanceContraireThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:29 am
who are you to tell others what to write and not write about? this whole magazine was for teenagers to get there opinions out into the world!

codyabenbow This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 1:05 am
Well she wrote Just Dance when she was drunk and half her other songs......

mebuggy1 said...
Really she was born this way. I understand this is your opinion,but have you took the time to sit their and listen to her muisic and wonder why she wrote the song

Zebra$tripes said...
I respect ur opinion but i feel the writer is not looking at the lyrics and background in the correct way. She comes from a place where her parents limited the way she dressed and she couldn't express herself. The outfits make her different so she can't be compared to others. She isn't telling us we're loved. She wants us to remember. If you can understand, she isn't the normal pop star. She is an empowering figure who brings an edge to the table. Tell me why other artists are appealing to you?

pandavalanche said...
I beg to differ with your opinion. I'm not one of those crazy Lady Gaga fans, but I admire her music and her style. I have a lot of respect for her. My reason why is because she has created a reputation that says, "I'm going to be who I want to be, and do what I want to do, heedless of the fact that you all might think I'm weird or crazy." And because she has become so famous, and has so many who adore her, it's actually quite inspiring, and I'm sure people out there feel that it's okay to be wh... (more »)

vazenitran98 said...
You're not hating. You're showing your true inner emotions and opinions in a very positive way. Quite amazing how someone can put the two together.

Hacker said...
Don't flame people. If you want to then go to a flame site.

RumMonkey said...
Jan. 3, 2012 at 4:34 am
I agree. If Lady Gaga were to dress in conventional blouses and actual pants she would not be as recognized as she is now.

Hacker replied...
Dude she doesn't dress like that cuz baby she was born that way

Caroline S. replied...
okay if there was a like button i would seriously love to hit that up right now. hahaha whoever you are youre amazing! and to the chick who wrote this article i can agree with that honestly if you listen to some of her new stuff its very religiously based and not for everyone and her costumes can get a tad innappropiate

Hacker replied...
Thanks! After i posted that I got an account :P

chloe_garrett replied...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:47 am
Omg I love the born this way comment hacker put. lol amazing. and rum monkey, I AGREE! :D

Mjjames2016 said...
OMG I LOVE EVANESENCE 

Blairezie replied...
Jan. 11, 2012 at 12:32 am
I agree! Evanescence is an amazing band.

GoGreenGirl replied...
me too!!!!!!!

bluetigerstar said...
I agree with you very much. You're completly correct. She's changing herself and image for everyone else and that's not cool. I never even thought about it but thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Foreverlove13 said...
She's not hatin, she is simply putting out her opinion and that how sad it is that some people would completely change who they are just to get their name out there. It's sad that someone would throw away who they are for fame and fortune, I'm not saying just Gaga has done it, but many other famous people as well. No need to hate on this persons article when they have good points to be made.

Celeste_N. said...
Dec. 20, 2011 at 10:03 am
Yall are just haters!!!! Yall dont know what she's been through all her life!! Just because she's different from other singers yall like doesnt mean you can judge her because of what she has become!!! She's a true inspiration...she doesnt care what she looks like or anything!! Yall are haters and just plain bullies!!! i hate this written work and all the people who don't like Lady GaGa!!! Selfish people dont always get what they want!!

Foreverlove13 replied...

bluetigerstar replied...
She is not hating. She is not even lying. If you look how Lady Gaga looked when she first started out and then look at her now, she is a completly different person. I'm not say ing the change was bad but it's very sad when people change them selfs to become more famous.