I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

team_haymitchThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:55 am:
i agree with the author. there is a fine line between being differently yourself and being ridiculously someone else.

dotn_me replied...
Jun. 9, 2012 at 4:57 pm :
well said :) i completely agree with you

KittyKitty said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:45 am:
sorry, on that last sentence I ment to say ...I think lady gaga...

KittyKitty said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 8:43 am:

I see where you're going with this but can I ask have you ever been famous? It's got to be stupid hard. Keeping up with clothes, shoes, music, tunes, make-up, albums, lyrics, God can you imagin that!!!

I for one think that after going though all that I would like to be me Instead of the me everyone wants me to be. But l Lady Gaga is one of the few stars brave enought to show the world she's different.

thats my opion

. said...
Feb. 12, 2012 at 12:30 pm:
I think this is amazing! I totally agree.

LadyRose said...
Feb. 11, 2012 at 6:52 pm:
Honestly this is a great article. I have had the same feelings as you have about her since she became popular four years ago, and I agree that teens need somone who is themself and not behind some promoters mask of what's going to be "The Next Big Thing", much like other artists that teens my age listen to today.

JaceyKat said...
Feb. 9, 2012 at 4:53 pm:
I don't like her much either. I'm a boy, but I am also a girl. My mind is consistently at war with my body and I hate it. She says that it's okay, but it's not. I was born wrong, I can't fix it even though I want to. I hate that she thinks something like this is okay.

labee replied...
May 22, 2012 at 1:25 am :
umm honestly i dont like the way you have this opinion about yourself your wrong .theres NOTHING to be living your life like its war .its not worth it.every human creature is special.you know human are GOD's best creation.and i so much think that you are being completly wrong .you should live life not feeling your wrongly fixed but should think that you are no matter what perfect.i know im a insecure person too i have my own issues but that doesnt mean i cant know whats true and right for me and... (more »)

SeasonalFog said...
Feb. 6, 2012 at 12:18 am:
This is a good article. I love the third paragraph. I would expand on the opening "I don't like being manipulated". You seemed to drop that point through the rest of the essay. Otherwise, I liked this.

Maybe not said...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 9:00 pm:
The way Lady Gaga is. That's her being herself

Emmalina said...
Feb. 4, 2012 at 6:08 pm:
I agree with the author. Lady Gaga's "fashion" just comes to show kids and teens that being themselves isn't good enough. They have to change who they are and be outrageously different to maybe get someone to notice you

Blondi1254 said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 11:55 pm:
I disagree with this article. Lady Gaga is a message to all teenagers who feel "different" that it's okay to be that way. Lady Gaga may be crazy, creative, attention grabbing, and down right bizarre. But isnt there a bit of that in everyone?!

Blondi1254 replied...
Feb. 5, 2012 at 4:53 pm :
Someone has a problem ^^

WriterMolly said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 10:51 pm:
I disagree wholeheartedly with both the writer and anyone who agrees with them. Clearly, the writer has not learned anything about Gaga's background at all, for there is a clear explanation for her creative drive and lyrical meaning. All her outfits have stories behind them, as do her songs, and I think the writer is insulting the true message Gagas trying to pass. Do your research and you might understand!!!

DancingInTheRain1011 replied...
Feb. 7, 2012 at 9:01 pm :
i agree so much

TheBellusSociety said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:08 pm:
I agree with the writer, wholeheartedly. She is just trying to be noticed.

. said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 7:02 pm:
I disagree with your comment. There is a big difference between creative and crazy and she seems to have crossed the border into crazy. She is a bad influence on girls.

CeAirra said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:37 am:
I have to disagree with the writer. I think lady gaga has spunk. It's her drive and willingness to be what she wants to be regardless of the stuff that gets said about her that I love. She creates both shock and excitement with her music and wardrobe. I personally love anyone who does what they want and doesn't let society pressure them. Like Adele with her weight. Screw that the society she lives in is practically skin and bones. She is what she wants to be. Big bold and beautiful. The same app... (more »)

iluvrockandroll2 replied...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:09 pm :
thnk u very much for getting your point across, but i agree with you, CeAirra, lady gaga is a role model for those who are different, and because of that, she creates a beautiful perspective of this world amen

runner1 said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 9:00 am:
Please...Madonna has already done everything Lady Gaga is claiming to "create". She's a remake, nothing more.

chloe_garrettThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 2, 2012 at 8:45 am:
I completely disagree. Lady gaga is a very creatve person and an inspiration to just... be yourself no matter what anyone else thinks of you. Her "crazy tiresome (blah blah blah whatever else you said) outfits" are her way of expressing herself and you need to either respect that or not write a reveiw on something that a lot of people will disagree with you completely about. Lady gaga stands for something great. IDC what you think.