I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

clairexaudrey This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I absolutely love this. I'm happy that there are some people who aren't afraid to question music artists and the music industry, especially in such a thought-provoking and poetic manner. Good job(:
tomorrowdarling replied...
and i agree with you as well. i don't have a problem with her at all but after i read this it gave me a different outlook on her :] DEFINITELY great writing :] mad props ;]
starrr7 said...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 11:14 am
personally i do like Lady Gaga, but this article gave me a new perspective on her...which should be the point of writing, good job!
Amnoona said...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 8:09 am

Loooveee thiss! Seriously! This is such a great review!

Your writing style is awesome.. I <3 the way you string together your words, it's so poetic & well-spoken.

What's more is that every point you made is so valid and though it's your opinion I don't think anyone can disagree with this because what you say is the complete truth!

cripnation907 replied...
Amnoona replied...
Oct. 7, 2010 at 7:51 am
TuffGurl said...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 6:37 am

I used to love modern music, but now I like punk rock from the seventies, motown, and classic rock. And Drake. I <3 Drake, because I just do. But anyway, I used to like Lady Gaga, and now I realize what she is and how us, as a whole in America, are turning out to be. We are arrogant and we need a woman in a mask, a few wigs, wearing a cone-bra or sparkles bra and panties singing about sex, drugs, and money to catch our attention. It is pathetic. I wish that Lady Gaga was normal and gotten ... (more »)

Spazzmine said...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 3:25 am
Couldn't agreed more!:)
xAllegria said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 7:15 am

It's true that Lady Gaga's gone a bit over the top trying to catch the media's attention- that's probably why she came up with those ridiculous-sounding statements you quoted which would shock and influence fans. But think of it this way: people love being shocked. And nowadays, if a rebel with the likes of David Bowie came about, his "rebellion" would be given nothing but a sweet tap on the head and a  lollipop. But at his time, such a change was just as shocking as Lady Gaga is now. De... (more »)

bennyB said...
is about time someone posted it, I dont like that lady either her music is horrible
doomtreat said...

You misused the expression "begs the question. Begs the question does not mean "to raise the question", "to ask the question" or the like. It actually means to respond to a question in a way that does not really address the issue raised by the question, more like avoiding the question really

Sorry that just bothers me.

I tried to not like lady GAGA, but too catchy... couldn't resist.

bennyB replied...
really thats not even a valid statement
jen920 replied...

Yes, you're right, doomtreat. But I feel that the use of phrases like "begs the question" have changed over time and while are not technically correctly used, the intent still comes across.

Much like the word "quote". It's technically a verb by all formal and academic standards, but it's often used in the vernacular as interchangeable with the noun "quotation". It's been used that way for the past 100 years, actually. While still technically incorrect, it's accepted as common us... (more »)

J.L.G said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 8:35 am
I agree. And i also think her songs and costumes are wierd.
KatieKarburetor said...

You say she was such a "normal" girl before, but did you consider that she was always Gaga underneath, yet she didn't have the means to create such elaborate costumes? I don't think she "changed" into what she is now; she was always Lady G, but now she has the fame and money to pull off the persona.

But, yes, the Bowie incarnate would be appreciated.

toflyaway replied...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 2:18 am

I completely agree.

I mean, she is definately not the only one writing about sex and money. And doesn't everyone have their own style and the sorts?

Regardless, I admire your writing style, readers can feel the emotion behind it.

Kazuo Kiriyama said...

This whole thing about doing something new and shocking in music is hardly new. There's a genre called Shock Rock which is rock music combined with elements meant to shock the viewers, it may be lyrics or even live performances. Alice Cooper is one of the original shock rockers and it has worked well for him.

I understand Gaga's almost "need" to been in certain types of clothing, I myself feel uncomfortable in "normal" clothing and dress in a way that stands out. I like doing this but ... (more »)

the1cellist said...
Issue is, where do you draw your line of what is acceptable show and not in the music industry? There have been lots of performers who have been either loud personalities or dressed as such that have contributed to music profoundly. (Elvis, Kiss, Elton John, Joan Jett) Would you consider all of these to be skin-deep attempts at non-conformity? A stage persona is supposed to be one's face to the fans. That's why they exist. Scrutinizing that in order to make judgments about someone's since... (more »)
bentotheeechen said...
im really amazed by this post, i was shocked when she stole the spotlight for her sister at her sisters graduation but what your saying makes somuch sense and unveils a truth about gaga, despite being percieved as an incarnation of individuality, that thing we see isnt really a person, it is a body in costume, id like to see lady gaga, as the person she is, going by her real name, using an untampered voice and wearing normal clothes...
SkyWolf said...
if all Lady Gaga wants is to be different, then i think you can do that without leading thousands of people on thinking that you have to act like something out of a horror film to do just that. it dosent take much to stand out. even just having good music will make you famous. you dont need glitter, rhinstones, ans whatever else she has on everything she owns.