I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

Spazzmine said...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 3:25 am:
Couldn't agreed more!:)

xAllegria said...
Oct. 4, 2010 at 7:15 am:

It's true that Lady Gaga's gone a bit over the top trying to catch the media's attention- that's probably why she came up with those ridiculous-sounding statements you quoted which would shock and influence fans. But think of it this way: people love being shocked. And nowadays, if a rebel with the likes of David Bowie came about, his "rebellion" would be given nothing but a sweet tap on the head and a  lollipop. But at his time, such a change was just as shocking as Lady Gaga is now. De... (more »)

bennyB said...
is about time someone posted it, I dont like that lady either her music is horrible

doomtreat said...

You misused the expression "begs the question. Begs the question does not mean "to raise the question", "to ask the question" or the like. It actually means to respond to a question in a way that does not really address the issue raised by the question, more like avoiding the question really

Sorry that just bothers me.

I tried to not like lady GAGA, but too catchy... couldn't resist.

bennyB replied...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 1:12 pm :
really thats not even a valid statement

jen920 replied...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 11:26 pm :

Yes, you're right, doomtreat. But I feel that the use of phrases like "begs the question" have changed over time and while are not technically correctly used, the intent still comes across.

Much like the word "quote". It's technically a verb by all formal and academic standards, but it's often used in the vernacular as interchangeable with the noun "quotation". It's been used that way for the past 100 years, actually. While still technically incorrect, it's accepted as common us... (more »)

J.L.G said...
Sept. 28, 2010 at 8:35 am:
I agree. And i also think her songs and costumes are wierd.

KatieKarburetor said...

You say she was such a "normal" girl before, but did you consider that she was always Gaga underneath, yet she didn't have the means to create such elaborate costumes? I don't think she "changed" into what she is now; she was always Lady G, but now she has the fame and money to pull off the persona.

But, yes, the Bowie incarnate would be appreciated.

toflyaway replied...
Oct. 6, 2010 at 2:18 am :

I completely agree.

I mean, she is definately not the only one writing about sex and money. And doesn't everyone have their own style and the sorts?

Regardless, I admire your writing style, readers can feel the emotion behind it.

Kazuo Kiriyama said...

This whole thing about doing something new and shocking in music is hardly new. There's a genre called Shock Rock which is rock music combined with elements meant to shock the viewers, it may be lyrics or even live performances. Alice Cooper is one of the original shock rockers and it has worked well for him.

I understand Gaga's almost "need" to been in certain types of clothing, I myself feel uncomfortable in "normal" clothing and dress in a way that stands out. I like doing this but ... (more »)

the1cellist said...
Issue is, where do you draw your line of what is acceptable show and not in the music industry? There have been lots of performers who have been either loud personalities or dressed as such that have contributed to music profoundly. (Elvis, Kiss, Elton John, Joan Jett) Would you consider all of these to be skin-deep attempts at non-conformity? A stage persona is supposed to be one's face to the fans. That's why they exist. Scrutinizing that in order to make judgments about someone's since... (more »)

bentotheeechen said...
im really amazed by this post, i was shocked when she stole the spotlight for her sister at her sisters graduation but what your saying makes somuch sense and unveils a truth about gaga, despite being percieved as an incarnation of individuality, that thing we see isnt really a person, it is a body in costume, id like to see lady gaga, as the person she is, going by her real name, using an untampered voice and wearing normal clothes...

SkyWolfThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
if all Lady Gaga wants is to be different, then i think you can do that without leading thousands of people on thinking that you have to act like something out of a horror film to do just that. it dosent take much to stand out. even just having good music will make you famous. you dont need glitter, rhinstones, ans whatever else she has on everything she owns.

bennyB replied...
Sept. 30, 2010 at 1:14 pm :
you are so right I haet when people act crazy adn wierd just to be different when you really do not have to

Alexandre Rosa said...
May 23, 2010 at 8:01 am:
I agree with your statment here, I actually always thinked almost same way as you do... my ex girlfriend was crazy about her songs, though I never liked it, but well I guess it shows when she betrayed me and went after other guys and went back to her ex boyfriend who used to talk bad so bad lol, that she loves the messages that lady gaga sends on her songs and makes it like Lady Gaga is someone to be followed, I dont have anything agaist Lady Gaga, I know lots of people would crucify me for sayi... (more »)

xHoldOn said...
you make some really good points and, although i think her music is catchy, i don't agree with some of her lyrics. there are a lot of young people who listen to her songs and take in the lyrics and use her as a role model. some people don't even realise that they her lyrics influenceing them to act or speak in a certain way. i like her in the sense that she has the confidence to stand out and experiment with fashion and change her style, but i dont agree with her lyrics and some of her... (more »)

greenwolf said...
Good point.

MarinaOreo said...
You make a good biased argument, but she is expressing herself. If that's how she expresses herself, then so be it. Maybe she likes dressing up like that. I do like some of her songs and I think she has made a great influence on pop music. I understand that you're annoyed with her but if she doesn't want to be caught in sweatpants, then so what. She is saying that it is okay to be whoever and she's demonstrating that in her performances and music. She's trying to get a message of acceptance out ... (more »)

jen920 replied...
Apr. 14, 2010 at 3:11 am :

I'm not rejecting Lady Gaga, the person. I'm rejecting the persona, the style, the phenomenon. I don't want to be a part of a strange wave of fascination with someone who just puts on a show. 

One of my biggest problems with her is not that she likes clothes or makeup, but that she puts too much of an emphasis on it. It consumes her. I don't like that message, and I don't like how it makes me feel, like I'm someone easily distracted by shiny objects. 

I think some of h... (more »)

MarinaOreo replied...
Apr. 17, 2010 at 3:03 pm :
I understand. Thanks for clearing it up :)