I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

Sammiegirl said...
Lady gaga is one of the most confident people in the world, to show this she dresses like she feels. She doesnt want to be held back by normal clothes and wants her fans to think it is ok to be different. She doesnt want every girl to look at miley cyrus and be like her she wants some people who dare to be different. She is telling young women how to be unqiue and loved for it. Not to mention she is changing the way we veiw music. She has completly changed what some people think of music. She is... (more »)
betterhappyending replied...
You make a good point. She does make a statement, but I still believe that you need to make a statement for the right reasons, not just for the sake of saying something. 
Sammiegirl replied...
a silent protest against fashion? originality?
Sammiegirl replied...
I mean cuz she has originality unlike other ppl
80smusicfanatic said...

Lady Gaga is okay, I mean I like her songs, but herself as a person is okay. The thing I really admire about her (the other only thing actually)is that she fights for what she believes in, even though everyone else in the world thinks she's strange for doing it. She doesn't care a hoot on what people say and just fights for things she thinks is right.

You also have to consider the fact that she is unique and has a personality that has affected everyone in some way. ... (more »)

rebeccaisspegetti6 said...

Have you ever herd of that?..

i dont think there a thing called normal.

be your own person..thats who shes being..if she was like everyone else there wouldnt be a Lady Gaga!

I dont think yall know creativity and originality is.

Lady Gaga is Happy being her awesome self..she wouldnt be happy if she was every  kesha, katy perry or Brittany Spears.

I am In love with Lady Gaga..she inspires people to be thereselves!

... (more »)

Hrrrr replied...
her originality? is she even real????
Madeline said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:53 am

I totally agree. I didn't even know who she was until late last year. When I heard about her, I looked her up and was shocked by what I found. Then I listened to one of her songs. I didn't listen to the whole thing, because I was shocked by what I heard.

Thanks for writing such a great article.

spike71294 said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 7:26 am

I am sorry to say but it's not she who has to be pitied upon, it's you. If we ever met in real life I would give you a hug and pray for your mind to broaden it's horizons.

She does not dress up that way just to get noticed, she thinks it's beautiful and it's her true identity. I think the same way and according to me people should be what they want and not what the society tells us is appropriate. You are such a thick skull! And you know what? you hate her just because she has the... (more »)

PurpleFeather replied...

I think that this was a very inappropiate comment. These boards are meant to criticize the WRITING, not degraade and talk harshly about the writer themselves.

And that's your point of view. That's fine. But that doesn't make some of what jen920 said wrong. Our society IS losing sight of what it means to be yourself. Okay, maybe the image Lady Gag portrays IS who she really is. But that doesn't mean that that person is someone people should strive to be like. She does only seem to talk... (more »)

SapheThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...

Writing is formed mostly, if not most often, from opinions, and we as readers are allowed to agree and disagree with those opinions. But when we say "freedom of the press" and "freedom of speech," it means that we have the right to voice those opinions. It also means that we are very much allowed to strongly disagree with them. But to go about insulting one another? That is not how that works. Everyone who disagrees with this piece has their point, and so does ev... (more »)

beautifuldreamer replied...
You say the author is too chicken to speak her mind but isn't this piece speaking her mind?
Hrrr replied...

she is disagreeing with the majority, unlike you, spike. isnt that just about as different as it gets?

you're just a follower of Gaga.

You have no will of your own.

Kassielovesgaga said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 7:21 am

I respect your opinion, but you dont understand exactly what lady gaga is trying to say.

your probably some popular prep girl who's daddy buys her everything and is disgusted by anyone who wants to be different.

You see that ^. I just made a complete ass of myself by saying that, because i assumed. (please dont take that seriously, it was just for example)

What you posted was very well researched, but an assumption. You assume that because she loves to dress up, and becau... (more »)

Ellawind said...
This is amazing! So true! Whenever I've been asked about her I've tried to explain why I dislike her, but you have phrased my feelings better than I could have imagined. Glad I'm not the only one. Awesome job!
Lady Gaga said...

My name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, also known as Lady Gaga. I am deeply insulted by your article and all I can say is that I appreciate all my little monsters who love my music and my creations. Bless you,

Cody3290 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...

Hmm.... I can't tell if this is a troll or if this is really her.

I can in fact imagine her being on this site.

If you are a troll, successful troll is successful.

If not, sorry for calling you a troll. Before you get offended that I called you ugly, please look up the meaning of the word in Urban Dictionary.

That is all.

Hrrrr replied...
monsters, eh? that just proves a point. see what ur breeding into society? MONSTERS
spiritualrevelationrevealspainandrevolution replied...
if by the slim chance this is her..this site is supposed to be for teens gtfo
boston418 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
RIGHT ON!  I'm passing this on.  SO well said!
PurpleFeather replied...
OMW, me too! Me and my mom have been saying this for the past year and it is such a relief to hear that we are not the only people with the ability to THINK FOR THEMSELVES left on this palnet!