I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

SapheThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
What can I say that hasn't been said (positively)? It's very well written, you state your opinions and support them, and there is reason to believe that Lady Gaga is what she is: the fame monster. Great job and great writing!

abbys said...
Excellent job. You were concise and to the point, and a great point at that. Personally, I think a lot of the people defending this woman are full of themselves. They say that "it's art" or "she's confident" or "originality!". OK, all valid things, but (1) not everyone likes all art, (2) confidence does not need to expressed while wearing a dress made out of meat, and (3) guys, the author's right, if we all try to outdo each other in originality, we're all just trying to conform to a more abstra... (more »)

WALL-E This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Thank you for sharing your views. I thought this was a wonderful essay, and I must say I agree with your points. And to the people criticizing the author's opinions... Would you want someone to say that about your writing? 

Sammiegirl said...
Lady gaga is one of the most confident people in the world, to show this she dresses like she feels. She doesnt want to be held back by normal clothes and wants her fans to think it is ok to be different. She doesnt want every girl to look at miley cyrus and be like her she wants some people who dare to be different. She is telling young women how to be unqiue and loved for it. Not to mention she is changing the way we veiw music. She has completly changed what some people think of music. She is... (more »)

Shellywhat93 replied...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 8:27 pm :
Yah your right ! everyone needs to know that they're different and be who they really are. however, if everyone is different doesn't that mean we are all the same? Aren't you contridicting yourself when you saying she's trying to be different when really she just can't accept herself. We really shouldn't aim to be unique, but rather to be who we are and accept it.

Sammiegirl replied...
Oct. 14, 2010 at 2:34 pm :
I dont think i was controdicting myself... Just saying being unique is good and she wants to show everyone that

betterhappyending replied...
Oct. 14, 2010 at 6:56 pm :

Looking through most of the comments, I would ask you to look at the response I posted somewhere on the comments section of this. People seem to think I'm condemning 'uniqueness'. I don't think I was entirely clear in my original piece. I'm not saying there's something wrong with being 'unique' AT ALL. In fact, I'm encouraging it. My issue ISN'T with her clothes or anything like that. It's the lack of substance or independent thought behind it that really irks me. There's a difference ... (more »)

Lady Gaga replied...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 9:07 am :

My name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, also known as Lady Gaga. Although you don't wanna admit, you are one of my little monsters.

Bless u

Gaga

boston418 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 9:28 am :
But what if you actually ARE like Miley Cyrus?  Just because someone's intrests tend to reflect the trend doesn't mean that they're not being themselves.  My little sister adores the music of all those little teeny-bopper artists, but she won't even admit it because everytime she does, she gets slammed for either being a conformist or having juvenile taste.  Lady Gaga clearly has a fascinating uniqueness about her, but I think that the author is questioning if she is tru... (more »)

Sammiegirl replied...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 9:44 am :
I just used Miley Cyrus because she isnt that original like there are a billion disney channel singers who look pretty but how many lady gaga's are there? I just think Lady Gaga wore all that stuff and acts and sings the way she does as an example to other girl that it is ok to be different because you will be adored either way, like lady gaga would be adored either way (crazy clothes aka. unique or pop star clothes aka like all the other pop stars)

Oct. 16, 2010 at 10:16 am :
I just used MIley Cyrus because you did... you could put any artist's name in there.  I guess my point was that being unique is useless if you're not being yourself.

Oct. 16, 2010 at 1:56 pm :
PS:  Do you think that comment actually came from Lady Gaga?

Sammiegirl replied...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 2:46 pm :

haha noo i dont think it did, because this is TEEN ink and she has bigger and better things to worry about then what we have to say,I also dont think she would say "bless you" yah see the problem is you CAN put anyones name in instead of miley cyrus :Pyah it is useless unless u r rebelious and want to make a statement, like she does

betterhappyending replied...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 7:45 pm :
You make a good point. She does make a statement, but I still believe that you need to make a statement for the right reasons, not just for the sake of saying something. 

Sammiegirl replied...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 8:48 pm :
a silent protest against fashion? originality?

Sammiegirl replied...
Oct. 16, 2010 at 8:49 pm :
I mean cuz she has originality unlike other ppl

80smusicfanatic said...

Lady Gaga is okay, I mean I like her songs, but herself as a person is okay. The thing I really admire about her (the other only thing actually)is that she fights for what she believes in, even though everyone else in the world thinks she's strange for doing it. She doesn't care a hoot on what people say and just fights for things she thinks is right.

You also have to consider the fact that she is unique and has a personality that has affected everyone in some way. ... (more »)

rebeccaisspegetti6 said...

ORIGINALITY.

Have you ever herd of that?..

i dont think there a thing called normal.

be your own person..thats who shes being..if she was like everyone else there wouldnt be a Lady Gaga!

I dont think yall know creativity and originality is.

Lady Gaga is Happy being her awesome self..she wouldnt be happy if she was every  kesha, katy perry or Brittany Spears.

I am In love with Lady Gaga..she inspires people to be thereselves!

... (more »)

Hrrrr replied...
Oct. 21, 2010 at 4:02 pm :
her originality? is she even real????

Madeline said...
Oct. 13, 2010 at 9:53 am:

I totally agree. I didn't even know who she was until late last year. When I heard about her, I looked her up and was shocked by what I found. Then I listened to one of her songs. I didn't listen to the whole thing, because I was shocked by what I heard.

Thanks for writing such a great article.