I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

AcrossTheUniverse said...
Jul. 18, 2012 at 3:22 pm:
Have you ever read Fahrenheit 451? Huzzah to your strong voice and well written piece. I agree with you.

UriahS replied...
Jun. 5, 2013 at 2:00 pm :
As three enourmous televisions, spanning from floor to ceiling, broadcast the sound and image of the so-called, "Mother Monster" I'm not sure how you could make that book anymore Dystopian after that....xD

Hailey W. said...
Jul. 9, 2012 at 7:51 pm:
I see your opinion on this I do and I'm not necessarily dissagreeing, but in show biz there's this thing called image, and if you make it noticable, different, and worth a "look" at your image will shoot up drastically. I do agree it is an act ( and I am a big Lady GaGa fan) she did change and she is doing this costume make up thing as an act--because it works! I mean she made 129 million dollars last year by doing what she's doing so I wouldn't complain with that much cash--she knows how to wor... (more »)

DakotaShadow said...
Jul. 8, 2012 at 7:31 pm:
Its very hard to stay true to yourself in pop music culture. Look at katy perry, justin bieber, britney spears. None of those people started out over the top and "fake". Once they sign a contract, they're locked into whatever the manager wants. Dont hate them, hate what has been done to them. maybe they were nieve, fine. But not bad. they were taken advantage of. feel bad

Michael333 said...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:59 am:
I agree. Good article. Teenage girls have been bombarded with unreal media images of media stars. Rather than how you look on the outside, it's about the beauty you have on the inside. No amount of wigs, makeup, and costumes can complete with true inner beauty.  It is a challenge to teenage girls to find their inner beauty regardless of how they look on the outside.

Michael333 said...
Jul. 6, 2012 at 10:58 am:

KestrelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jul. 5, 2012 at 10:30 am:
I have to agree with much of this, however, I have to admit as well that I still enjoy some of her music. Unlike much of the artists who are making music for the world today, she actually has talent. If you go to a Lady Gaga concert, she will sound very much alike her recordings. She can SING, unlike the other "artists" who can autotune. She also plays piano very well. I respect her, because although some of what she says may sound shallow, she knew what it took and who to manipulate to get what... (more »)

CrystalAngelDol said...
Jun. 13, 2012 at 1:01 pm:
thank you so much! i could'nt have said it better myself!!!!!!!!!!!

wishingtheskywasbluer This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Apr. 17, 2012 at 12:43 am:
loved this. agreed with everything.

dramajules said...
Apr. 9, 2012 at 9:15 am:
While I believe that your article was well written and did bring up some good points, I don't really agree with it.  I would just like to point out that most of the pictures of Lady Gaga pre fame are of her while attending a catholic school, you can't do much with clothes there.  And this is her expressing what she likes to wear and perform in.  However I think that you article was well written and keep writing.

Sallypooper said...
Mar. 28, 2012 at 5:19 pm:
Hey! I like lady Gaga she is unique! Also her music is catchy! So don't say she sucks ok?!

PoetryAngel14 said...
Mar. 24, 2012 at 6:47 pm:
          YES.

cimfamlove4everThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Mar. 23, 2012 at 12:52 am:
This is an amazing article. I really agree with a lot of your points. High five to you!(:

outrageousalex said...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 6:53 pm:
I myself like lady gaga but I think alot of your artical was right. Your an awesome writer, so keep up the good work.

punction This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 10:44 am:
An interesting perspective, and well-written.

Yurriane said...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 8:37 am:
Uhm...there are a lot of comments which say that Lady Gaga changed her whole being just to become famous..and if you compared her from what she was a few years earlier,she was totally `normal`.But hey,think about it...can you have BLUE hair and epic EYE MAKE-UP when you`re in a private catholic school???I don`t think so...unless you want to get suspended or something.And she`s not putting the idea that you`d have to be weird and eccentric and a bit crazy to be liked.She`s putting out that SHE IS... (more »)

Jornellia replied...
May 7, 2012 at 8:29 pm :
It's all about what sells and you believe anything other than that you are a fool.

MoonsDaughterZeeny said...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 8:33 am:
Beautifully written. A master-piece. You should write more.

Regia said...
Mar. 21, 2012 at 7:17 am:
Wow, incredibly good article! So well-written. You can certainly be proud of what you've done here. I totally agree with everything you say. Some people just say "I don't like Lady Gaga" but don't get reasons and they have no basis; but your article was firm and well-based, not to mention well-said, and I appreciated it greatly. Incredibly amazing job with writing this!

team_haymitchThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Feb. 24, 2012 at 10:55 am:
i agree with the author. there is a fine line between being differently yourself and being ridiculously someone else.