I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

kimmaaaa said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 12:45 am:
I think you are reading way too much into lady gaga's costumes, make-up and performances. you had a school assignment, and probably no life, and wrote what you did. you spent hours thinking of what would grab peoples attention and would get a decent grade. Please, she is sucessful and famous for a reason. Stop over analyzing her as an artist and get a life of your own, it might be fun? Stop hating life, and start enjoying it!

LovelyBlueRose replied...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 6:27 am :
Lady Gaga is awesome and inspiring, but there is some things in this article that makes a point though. You just have to look at both sides first.

storywritinggirl replied...
Jul. 19, 2011 at 8:57 pm :
man, that's a bit harsh kimmaaaa. She's just expressing her opinion just like you do yours. There's no need to be that rude about it. i like the article and can see valid points, and nothing anyone says will sway me from my opinion.

StephanieRoroThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 27, 2011 at 2:57 pm:
I agree with this piece. I believe Lady Gaga has a very good voice, BUT apparently it isn't enough. It makes me wonder if she would rather be known for her looks over her music. She is NOT the first to dress crazily. Grace Jones also wore unorthodox outfits but she retained a sense of class and beauty. Lady Gaga is sloppy and similar to something you'd see in a circus with the sole purpose of making you laugh and then she expects people to respect some kind of hidden message. People call her rev... (more »)

Dragonfly_Girl said...
Jun. 27, 2011 at 2:38 pm:
I actually DO sometimes listen to lady gaga's music (and enjoy it too!), but I really appriciated this article because of the statement it makes about american culture and society. A lot of the people who commented negatively on this are just such die-hard fans that they wouldn't even take the time to THINK about this piece. It is well-written, clever, witty, and makes a good point. However, I do think sometimes some pretty fantastic art comes from some pretty messed-up people- and that is proba... (more »)

JNMS7 said...
Jun. 26, 2011 at 7:38 pm:
I, personally, really like Lady GaGa-- though, not everyone has to like her. To me, I see Lady GaGa as someone who really loves what she's doing and works as hard as she does because she's just living her dream. Sure, it does appear that she's morphed into an extreme character (that I've heard people call 'fake'), but I see it as her incorporating all of HER inspirations/ role models, etc. into one image. So basically what I'm saying is, she- in a way- IS being herself by displaying what she lov... (more »)

inspiredbytheworld said...
Jun. 12, 2011 at 12:03 pm:
I don't believe that you're justified in saying, "Why do people have to be normal to be popular?" That's the thing. Most normal people AREN'T popular. Generally, popular people are prettier than normal people, or have a unique skill that puts them above the common man. What I'm trying to say is that normal people AREN'T popular. (Generally) Lady Gaga is extremely popular, but we wouldn't quite call her normal, would we now? But it is true that we do not have the right to judge her. I personally ... (more »)

inspiredbytheworld replied...
Jun. 12, 2011 at 12:04 pm :
This is a reply to Britty(:'s comment. I pressed the wrong button...whoops...

gracegirl17 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 11, 2011 at 8:58 pm:

THANK YOU. 

I try explaining this to my friends all the time, and they never agree. Lady Gaga is famous because she's weird. I appreciate unique, and I love different. Lady Gaga, however, is just bizzare. She has no thoughts, and most of her songs have no true meanings. Her song "Born This Way" does have a good message, but it's not original at all. The theme that you should love yourself has been around forever. She is a fake. 

TMichele said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 9:23 pm:
wat up    lady gaga is awesome   and .............."diffrent" if ya know what i mean

leafyThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:37 pm:

yeah, i totally agree with you, that i don't like lady gaga as a person. but as an actress/singer/perfomance artist/etc, i think she is really good. yeah, some of her lyrics and be a little racy, but even the beatles have some songs like that. the funny thing is is that i absolutely hate all pop music and at first i didn't think lady gaga was all that great, but when i saw her music videos, i kinda liked her. i mean, i don't really like her as a person (well, as much as i know a... (more »)

Lynnies said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 8:01 pm:
Hmm, contradictions? Her songs are intriguing and everyone else (artist-wise) seems to have changed. Like more extreme maybe? I liked it better when everyone was .... well not as wild? I dunno how to state it exactly. But I loved what you said (:

gogreen1 said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:35 pm:
Love it. Great job.

-DreamForever- said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:19 pm:
I'm all for being different and unique, but Lady Gaga seems more fake than unique.  I like this article because it's true. I don't like her trying to be all sexy and what not.  I wish artists would just be themselves and not try to get attention through anything other than their music. 

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:11 pm:
I like Lady Gaga but after I read this I can sort of see your point.  I like her music but some of the lyrics are suggestive and somehow I still like her but I'm not obsessed.  If I've never knew about Lady Gaga and I read this I probably wouldn't like her though.  You are very persuasive in your writing.  Good job!!!!! :))

Jamu123 said...
May 29, 2011 at 1:41 pm:
She's Brilliant she could'nt be herself and was teased for not being normal not everybody thinks the same as these normal cliches everybody has and shes trying to tell people that its ok to be different or think different or even look different and she has an AMAZING voice

JoPepperThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. replied...
Jun. 5, 2011 at 3:05 pm :
I agree I love her singing!!!! It's awesome!!!!!

lopez_ said...
May 18, 2011 at 4:34 pm:
illuminati!

HC12 said...
May 18, 2011 at 3:33 am:

The thing about Lady Gaga is everyone calls her 'shocking' or 'unique' but everything she's been doing has been done before. Wearing an 'interesting' outfit and reproducing the same boring, repititive pop music that has been made time and time again is not being original. And what exactly is her great message? She's telling people they can 'be different' or 'be themselves' or something I suppose? By spending, no doubt thousands of dollars on ridiculous costumes how is she being herself or bei... (more »)

FallonC. said...
May 15, 2011 at 4:02 pm:
Though I haven't exactly made an attempt to keep informed of the celebrity world, what you wrote was definitely thought-provoking. I really enjoyed your writing style.

Warning: Unknown: open(/var/lib/php5/sess_lsr3tihdo7q6in7i4arrkgvd04, O_RDWR) failed: No space left on device (28) in Unknown on line 0 Warning: Unknown: Failed to write session data (files). Please verify that the current setting of session.save_path is correct (/var/lib/php5) in Unknown on line 0