I don't like Lady Gaga.

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

xonikkitayor said...
Mar. 14 at 1:53 pm:
i think this artcle was well written, but your basiclly just judging her by her apperence on the outside. If you really take the time to actually listen to some of the things she has to say and listen to her songs closely, she actually is a very genuine person; but everyone is intitled to their own opinion.

Hamza97 said...
Mar. 1 at 2:09 pm:
I like gaga. She creates these costumes to create a space for her fans to be themselves. She's a great singer and writes her music. You can tell in her work and interviews that her music is coming from the heart and is only meant for good. I respect And listen to Gaga even though Im more in to rock. Once you know all this and still are not interested in her, its okay! We are all different and like different things! Well written blog btw :)

Marie Esquillo said...
Feb. 23 at 10:59 pm:
This article was well written, but the way I look at it, if it really irritates you this much, don't listen to her music or watch interviews. It's really that simple.

Becky97 said...
Feb. 22 at 5:20 pm:
You hit the issue right on the head! I totally agree with everything said in this article and it's plain that Lady Gaga has given up what she once was in the name of gaining recognition. She's a sell out. Also, the article was extremely well written. It's professional and smooth, an instant favourite for me.

KatieWorthington said...
Jul. 19, 2013 at 8:46 pm:
I totally agree with you. While I do like some of Gaga's music, I think she's lost sight of herself amidst the costumes, the make up, and above all, the FAME. If you take all that away from her, what do you have left? Sadly, at this point, her image is basically what defines her in the industry, not her talent.  

AWinterTypeOfGuy said...
Jun. 20, 2013 at 2:12 am:
Although I agree with your idea that she had to change and glamorize herself to be noticed, I disagree with the rest. No one, aside from Lady Gaga, can exactly say whether her costumes and accessories are an extension of herself or simply a means of attracting attention. It's true that she wasn't always this "out there", but it doesn't mean that she isn't instigating the change herself. Also, isn't it better that someone this colorful is preaching acceptance and d... (more »)

TimeTravellerThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Jun. 5, 2013 at 9:15 am:
I disagree. :) And yes you may call me crazy and probably a freak for this, but I love Lady Gaga, or I say, mother monster. To begin with, many people don't see the true person in her behind the fame and the "hideous" fashion, every bit of her is devoted to art and music and by wearing "outrageous" outfits, she is expressing herself as an artist who isn't bounded by the norms of the society, this has no negative influence in her fans. I am from the same community and ... (more »)

nikiiiZ replied...
Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:37 pm :
Agree with this %100000!

WriterHeadThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 1, 2013 at 12:43 pm:
i agree with you. i think lady gaga is very entertaining, however, what you said really opened my eyes about artists pretty much selling their souls just so people can listen to their music or even get attention. i always said that if i ever became famous, i would never not be myself. i would always remain humble. thank you. :)

Serenity said...
Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:34 am:
Absolutely, 100%. I finally got around to watching one of her videos (I thought her music was mediocre so I never bothered) and was disgusted that this stuff is popular. Her image is lame and more superficial than most, her shock value is tiresome and transparent. But when I decide to watch a video and find it to be loaded with straight-up soft porn and Satanic symbolism, and realize that THIS is the person people freakin' idolize, I pretty much lost hope for Western society. Thanks for givi... (more »)

mollybug13This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:46 pm:
Im not really a big fan of Lady Gaga either not just because im not allowed to listen to her music. She just seems so fake. I want to be a singer too but I dont wanna do it if I have to dress up like a self glorified barbie doll and only sing about inappropriate things.  Really thought provoking piece. 5 stars

Hey.. said...
I am a 13 year old kid from San Ysidro, CA and I do like Lady Gaga I don´t care how she looks or because of her performances I like her because she taught me a lot of being brave and also because she has talent..

Novelist123 said...
A beautiful new take on the image that is Lady Gaga

coco28 said...
Honestly, I agree with your opinion because, music has an impact on people. Meaning her fans idolize her and will try to be just like her. which is a bad idea.

ToxicAngelThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Amen. Finally, I never knew why I had such a distaste for Lady Gaga. I mean, I knew I did, I just never put enough thought into it to generate words. You did, perfectly! Great article, very articulate.

LittleFlutiePie said...
I love how well-written and convincing this article is, even though I'm a GaGa fan, but not nearly as much as most people. I really like a couple of her songs, and that's about it. But I love that you have the guts to come out and say exactly what you don't like about her. Not a lot of people would because of bandwagoning. Great job.

RainPrincess said...
Aug. 17, 2012 at 5:03 am:
Nothing like that. I'm Little Monster and I can say, that GaGa isn't only showbussiness doll. Really, it's not like that!

Nina replied...
Oct. 3, 2013 at 11:03 pm :
Look at what you guys write. Calling yourselves "little monsters" and Stefani Germanotta your "mother monster"...  it's like Germanotta is your (weirder than most) cult leader.

pookie pooh said...
I dont agree with what  you  think about her. Her music is fine and her clothes are creative.

PurpleOreo4 said...
Jul. 25, 2012 at 9:22 am:
Well written. I fully, 100% agree with you about this Gal. You should be a blogger or a reporter. This was amazing.