I don't like Lady Gaga.

By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California

"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

on Aug. 20 2017 at 9:25 pm
fabulouslydying, Farmington, Connecticut
Actually, Lady Gaga is really good at singing. If you listen to her cover of songs from The Sound of Music at the 87th Oscars, you can hear that her natural voice is amazing, it's just that her songs don't really capture her talent.

alipattz said...
on Jun. 16 2016 at 10:43 am
how are we to know the quotes aren't just made up? you made no references or links, and a lot of false publications go around nowadays.

alipattz said...
on Jun. 16 2016 at 10:42 am
I respect your view, but I am a Little Monster. I believe that Lady Gaga uses the costumes etc not to grab attention but to show people what she is into. Shes thoroughly passionate about art ans this is how she shows it. She hasn't just became successful due to this, she has an amazing voice but the music industry also wants someone who is unique. If she were just to use her voice, then she wouldn't have been chosen as there's so many trying to do the same. Its not easy to get signed up to a music industry you know. She did not want to be apart of the herd, she wanted to be differently, her costumes show her individuality.

on Jun. 8 2016 at 9:27 pm
itsrainingcats GOLD, East Hampton, Connecticut

"Those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -Dr. Suess

Very well written, you prove your point very well, give examples, quotes, lots of stuff. I can really tell you're passionate about this. Good job, and I agree with what you're saying.

on Dec. 25 2015 at 9:16 pm
ScarletCity PLATINUM, High Ridge, Missouri
The way I see, Lady Gaga and Johnny Cash are not that different. 1) they are well known by their looks. 2) They don't really sing. 3) Most people can sing at least one lyric of their songs. The difference? Cash's songs had meaning, had weight, where as Gaga's is all music and fluff words. Well written article though, I completely agree with you.

on Jun. 4 2015 at 5:57 pm
AshleySD BRONZE, Campbell, California
1 article 1 photo 90 comments
Did you not see the quotes?

Fangirl4 said...
on Jun. 2 2015 at 1:04 am
Fangirl4, Portland, Oregon

"It was books that made me feel that perhaps I was not completely alone." -Cassandra Clare

Is Satanic symbolism a bad thing?

on Feb. 18 2015 at 11:03 am
Ray--yo PLATINUM, Kathmandu, Other

God Makes No Mistakes. (Gaga?)
"I have hated the words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right." -Liesel Meminger via Markus Zusac, "The Book Thief"

I don't really care much about the singer, just liked the way you put your view forward. Good writing!

cute thang said...
on Jan. 21 2015 at 4:33 pm
I hate lady gaga she is fake no but and no boty.

on Mar. 14 2014 at 1:53 pm
xonikkitayor BRONZE, Lords Valley, Pennsylvania
i think this artcle was well written, but your basiclly just judging her by her apperence on the outside. If you really take the time to actually listen to some of the things she has to say and listen to her songs closely, she actually is a very genuine person; but everyone is intitled to their own opinion.

Hamza97 said...
on Mar. 1 2014 at 2:09 pm
I like gaga. She creates these costumes to create a space for her fans to be themselves. She's a great singer and writes her music. You can tell in her work and interviews that her music is coming from the heart and is only meant for good. I respect And listen to Gaga even though Im more in to rock. Once you know all this and still are not interested in her, its okay! We are all different and like different things! Well written blog btw :)

on Feb. 23 2014 at 10:59 pm
This article was well written, but the way I look at it, if it really irritates you this much, don't listen to her music or watch interviews. It's really that simple.

Becky97 BRONZE said...
on Feb. 22 2014 at 5:20 pm
Becky97 BRONZE, LaSalle, Other

“He's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.” - Emily Brontë

You hit the issue right on the head! I totally agree with everything said in this article and it's plain that Lady Gaga has given up what she once was in the name of gaining recognition. She's a sell out. Also, the article was extremely well written. It's professional and smooth, an instant favourite for me.

nikiiiZ GOLD said...
on Nov. 6 2013 at 9:37 pm
nikiiiZ GOLD, Chicago, Illinois
Agree with this %100000!

Nina said...
on Oct. 3 2013 at 11:03 pm
Look at what you guys write. Calling yourselves "little monsters" and Stefani Germanotta your "mother monster"...  it's like Germanotta is your (weirder than most) cult leader.

123Sesame said...
on Jul. 19 2013 at 8:46 pm
123Sesame, New York, New York
I totally agree with you. While I do like some of Gaga's music, I think she's lost sight of herself amidst the costumes, the make up, and above all, the FAME. If you take all that away from her, what do you have left? Sadly, at this point, her image is basically what defines her in the industry, not her talent.  

on Jun. 20 2013 at 2:12 am
Although I agree with your idea that she had to change and glamorize herself to be noticed, I disagree with the rest. No one, aside from Lady Gaga, can exactly say whether her costumes and accessories are an extension of herself or simply a means of attracting attention. It's true that she wasn't always this "out there", but it doesn't mean that she isn't instigating the change herself. Also, isn't it better that someone this colorful is preaching acceptance and diversity than an "average joe" type? Besides, the quotes you have cited can be interpreted in multiple contexts-such as her refusing to change her style (tone it down) and that she enjoys making an artistic statement that isn't quite as strong when wearing sweatpants. It's art; it's allowed to be different. dramatic, and diverse. 

UriahS BRONZE said...
on Jun. 5 2013 at 2:00 pm
UriahS BRONZE, Dixon, Illinois

Be who and what you can be at all times

As three enourmous televisions, spanning from floor to ceiling, broadcast the sound and image of the so-called, "Mother Monster" I'm not sure how you could make that book anymore Dystopian after that....xD

on Jun. 5 2013 at 9:15 am
LittleDreamer BRONZE, New Delhi, Other
I disagree. :) And yes you may call me crazy and probably a freak for this, but I love Lady Gaga, or I say, mother monster. To begin with, many people don't see the true person in her behind the fame and the "hideous" fashion, every bit of her is devoted to art and music and by wearing "outrageous" outfits, she is expressing herself as an artist who isn't bounded by the norms of the society, this has no negative influence in her fans. I am from the same community and I witness that, they are brave and really nice, but fierce when it comes to defending our idol.  You compare her with her old pictures from childhood, let me tell you - she was never normal haha. You can see her pictures of her wearing red lipstick and dark outfits - a little weird for her age. She was bullied throughout her high school because others thought that she was a freak, on one such incident, one of the bullies threw her in the trash. Her first and only dream was to be a singer, she learned to play the piano by ear at age 4 and took lessons when she was 5. She was always the weirdo who played in crazy outfits at clubs and theaters and go go danced to Black Sabbath. Fame never changed her. (On the side note, do you realize that a lot of the outfits she wear are made by elite fashion designers? Fashion is fine art, not for domestic use that is why we think most of it is eccentric.) Further in, she brought pop and dance music into the big scene, once again, music can't remain blues forever, or rock forever; it must evolve and that is what sells. Her transition from The Fame to Born This Way meant a transition in terms of music and fashion. Some songs have a deeper meaning than what it seems, Speechless is a good song which shows her lyrical skills. Edge of Glory was dedicated to her grandfather who passed away, "Hair" is about freedom of expression, "Marry The Night" - which the general public thought was repulsive - is based on her actual story of how she got rejected by a record label but still dared to make it. "when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay." Just because she dresses differently doesn't mean that she can't have a voice in the society. We understand her not because she manipulated us in her spells, but because we know her story, we know who she is and who she was, and the fact that even through rejection, bullying, bulimia etc. - she paved her way to become who she is today. A global icon dubbed as the "Rising Queen of Pop". The road to success is not as straight as it seems. She says, "The most important thing in people's creativity is to honor your creativity and not ever ignore it because of what the society is projecting us." She may seem to have the fame to her head like other celebs, but she's really humble and down-to-earth. This is what she said at the Monster Bal Tour concert (at Madison Square Garden, sold out.) "I used to dream and I used to pray that one day one person would believe in me, so when you( the audience) leave tonight, I want you to know that at least one person believes in you (bows)." You can say these things once, twice, thrice and call it fake but she's been saying it all her career and believing it all her life. If you still think I've been brainwashed and that it's fake and artificial, don't worry there are thousands more trying to bring her down, telling her to die and kill herself - but millions of us will always be there for her. xoxo

on May. 1 2013 at 12:43 pm
Positivity_At_Its_Finest DIAMOND, Morrow, Georgia

Life is a stage, get on it and perform your best act.

i agree with you. i think lady gaga is very entertaining, however, what you said really opened my eyes about artists pretty much selling their souls just so people can listen to their music or even get attention. i always said that if i ever became famous, i would never not be myself. i would always remain humble. thank you. :)

MacMillan Books

Aspiring Writer? Take Our Online Course!