I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California

"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

on Aug. 10 2011 at 7:35 pm
SocialPariah GOLD, Laurel, Maryland

A dream is just a recycled memory.

I hate it when people post negative comments on a perfectly well written article like this.  If you don't like the writers opinion then why did you read it.  The title very CLEARLY sys "I Don't Like Lady Gaga" ...also   I must include that I've seen enough rude comments on youtube   this is NOT youtube  it is Teenink  so I think we should carry ourselves as dignified and talented writers  NOT negative individuals.  Enough said.... 

on Aug. 10 2011 at 7:01 pm
Jenna4Jesus BRONZE, New Brunswick, North Carolina

"unless you love her"

That's exactly what I'm talking about. I don't absolutely loathe Lady GaGa. What I dislike if all you fangirls saying that it's alright to say your opinion if it's positive, but if it's a negative thought, you tell the person to "calm down" or "shut up."

It's irrational.

If you believe in freedom of speech or if you want others to be quiet, you start. 

Thanks, have a great day.

on Aug. 10 2011 at 6:40 pm
freeflow23 GOLD, Durham, North Carolina

Saul saw Goliath as too big to kill. David saw he was too big to miss.
W.W.J.D.

FYI to all the people who commented before me, I don't think the author of this cares whether you like Lady Gaga or not. She just wants to know if she's a good writer. (And for the record she is.)

pink pompom said...
on Aug. 10 2011 at 6:32 pm
just an opinion, but i think katie_potatie has it rite...simmer down, folks... its just a pop star, unless you love her.

pink pompom said...
on Aug. 10 2011 at 6:29 pm
okayyyy, redhairCat --you go! needs different themes maybe, but its all ok! no one is being forced to listen to her:) lets all be a lil calmer... anyone out there agree??

on Aug. 10 2011 at 5:56 pm
Lola_Black GOLD, Harrison, Michigan

"I've always been famous. It's just everybody's just now finding out." --Lady Gaga

I agree with you completely. Lady Gaga's extreme costumes are just part of the art! And as long as she is encouraging us all to love ourselves, she is definately a role model in my book.

on Aug. 10 2011 at 4:22 pm
HannSawyer15 BRONZE, North Brunswick, New Jersey

"I say... lets speak it. Lets fight it. Lets write it. There's nothing to hold on to if it's already gone."

Couldn't agree with you more!

on Aug. 10 2011 at 4:05 pm
savetheplanet PLATINUM, Anaheim, California

It is better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.

You're welcome.  I'm completely on your side on this. :D

on Aug. 10 2011 at 3:19 pm
perpetuallydancing GOLD, Prairie Village, Kansas

"If you don't have any shadows, you're not standing in the light."
- Lady Gaga

Thank you far.from.you.! That's exactly what I think. I really agree with you, she changed my life.

on Aug. 10 2011 at 3:18 pm

- Lady Gaga

Sam, thank you so much for your comment. Thank you for showing that Gaga is all about love and not hate. Thank you.

on Aug. 10 2011 at 3:18 pm

- Lady Gaga

I completely agree with you. Thank you for not hating on Gaga like so many other people have. She teaches us to be ourselves like she has. 

on Aug. 10 2011 at 3:13 pm

- Lady Gaga

Thank you! Everyone trashing Gaga, I love you for saying that. Thank you.

on Aug. 10 2011 at 2:39 pm

I was pointing out the irrationality while mimicking the original writer's tone. Obviously, you did not catch that.

So same to you, honey.

on Aug. 10 2011 at 2:17 pm

You have a good point, and I don't agree with everything she does.  But I do have to point out that most artists have some issues.  Maybe the best art comes from people who aren't entirely normal and can see the world differently than you do.  So I can agree with you up to a point, half her songs are innappropriate and she's outlandish.  But she uses her body as part of her art and I can respect that.  And to be honest about her innappropriate songs, they're not near as bad as most of the popular rap and pop songs.  So if she's singing a message about acceptance, I think she's one of the better role models.  So from someone who is a "die-hard fan"  I can see your point of view.

on Aug. 10 2011 at 2:07 pm

Completely true sweetdollsarah, I mean come on who goes out of the house looking like they just crawled out of bed?  Maybe you don't wear makeup are anything like that but you still brush your hair and try to wear something nice don't you?  Don't get me wrong, sometimes I think that Lady Gaga goes overboard.  I mean, a meat dress? That's just gross and a waste of food.  But for the most part I think she does ridiculous outfits and crazy things to show that she can embrace the insane side of herself so that if you want to embrace your quirky things, it's not so bad.

on Aug. 10 2011 at 12:57 pm
RoweenaKanj BRONZE, South Plainfield, New Jersey
I completely agree! Great writing. :D

pink pompom said...
on Aug. 10 2011 at 11:39 am

jeez, guys, chill out! :) its all cool- good artist, good messages...weird hair...

its a good peice of writing, tho we don,t agree with it. lets all step baaaaccckkk....!

on Aug. 10 2011 at 10:59 am
sweetdollsarah BRONZE, Hemet, California

"Love me or Hate me it's still an obsession." --I don't know who wrote or said this quote got it off a friends school book and it stuck with me. "Pickles!" --I just say this all the time!! "It's not that I'm afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens." -- Woody Allen

Sure Lady Gaga is out there, but if you think about it isn't she teaching us all that we are all a little out there in our own quricky ways and that yes like me, you can be a total fashion obsessed girl who loves heels and dresses and stays up on the trends, but I can still be my crazy quirky self. And thats what Lady Gaga is all about. You can be someone who no one thinks will ever change you can be someone who is so out there that it seems impossible to reach you, but in true fact we are all just quirky girls. Thats what I think Lady Gaga is about, and maybe she likes to dress that way, I mean I would never be seen out in public in sweats!! I always try and out my best look forward if I'm going outside. So I don't think it's that rediculous!! I mean do you go out in public without make-up on?? Or wearing a nice looking outfit??

CCatt SILVER said...
on Aug. 10 2011 at 9:58 am
CCatt SILVER, Omaha, Nebraska

"For you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, God's own people, in order that you may proclaim the praises of Him, who brought you out of darkness into his MARVELOUS light." - 1 Peter 2:9

Agree completely! Thank you for writing this!

on Aug. 10 2011 at 9:44 am
Katie_Potatie PLATINUM, Leavenworth, Kansas

There are no regrets in my life; because there is no time for mistakes. -(ME) Katie quote

Rude much? Wow, I think you should be the bigger person, if that's possible. :) SamEMajor was just stateing an opinion, as were you. Let it go, and grow up sweetie. ThanksKBye(: