I don't like Lady Gaga. | Teen Ink

I don't like Lady Gaga.

By betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California
betterhappyending BRONZE, San Ysidro, California

"I don't consider myself a pessimist. I think of a pessimist as someone who is waiting for it to rain. And I feel soaked to the skin." - Leonard Cohen

Blasphemy alert. I’m a sixteen year old American girl and I don’t like Lady Gaga. And no, it’s not because I don’t like her music, her costumes, or her performances. I just don’t like being manipulated.

Actually, I lied. It’s partly her music, costumes, and performances. But not so much because they’re hideous or outrageous or tiresome. But looking back at those pictures of her as a “normal” girl and seeing what and who she is now, it’s almost insulting. The fact that this girl had to change into something almost non-human to finally get noticed is unsettling, at best. She’s instead this cold, faceless force. No one noticed her when she was trying to “make it”. But then the fame machine (monster, she calls it?) seemed to eat her up and spit out an entirely new person, repackaged and revamped to “shock” us all.

And in the end, it really isn’t even that shocking. It’s almost a little pathetic (and you’ll see what I mean by insulting) when it seems that the state of the nation’s youth has degenerated so much that we need a woman in a mask and sparkling breasts to tell us that we’re all okay. Okay to be different, okay to be loved, the whole package. Because then we really aren’t, are we?

She's been quoted as saying, “I would rather die than have my fans not see me in a pair of high heels. I'd never give up my wigs and hats for anything.” I'm afraid that this mentality about possessions and image, to her millions of female fans, is dangerous. She speaks almost as if these material things are as vital to life as water is. This is the same woman who says that “I'm always saying something about art and music and fame. That's why you don't ever catch me in sweatpants.” She claims that her style and her persona is for art, and yet, it begs the question if she ever does anything for herself. She makes herself a martyr for the love of her fans. And if she is as passionate as she says she is about new frontiers in art, why are the vast majority of her lyrics about sex and money?

I'm not asking her to be anything different, not exactly. Give me a David Bowie reincarnate, an rebel in the music industry. But give me a little more complexity, a little more beauty, a little more thought than just what's on the outside. Give me another facet than just the freaky hair and makeup and clothing, because if that’s all there is, her opinion about simply being yourself is lost somewhere in the jumble of cosmetics and oversized sunglasses. But most of all, give me a break.

on Oct. 13 2010 at 7:26 am
spike71294 SILVER, Delhi, Other

I am sorry to say but it's not she who has to be pitied upon, it's you. If we ever met in real life I would give you a hug and pray for your mind to broaden it's horizons.

She does not dress up that way just to get noticed, she thinks it's beautiful and it's her true identity. I think the same way and according to me people should be what they want and not what the society tells us is appropriate. You are such a thick skull! And you know what? you hate her just because she has the bloody guts to be different and you don't. She says what she wants you are just too chicken to speak your mind. You are chained by the society and it's rules, you are afraid of being a social outcast! She doesn't care!

She has enough talent and she would've reached the top anyways.

She isn't weird for the sake of being weird, she's weird because she's beautiful.

You are just a mindless little girl who can't understand art. Lady gaga is far from an attention seeker, most of her private life is hidden unlike other celebrities who you all adore like anything. Lady gaga makes her own art unlike others. Lady gaga gives a message of freedom which sadly people like you don't get.

And the only reason you hate her is because she rejects being 'normal' and has the guts to make her own identity.

And the woman who can touch my heart, who can make me cry, who can inspire me can never be a superficial attention seeking popstar.

I don't think the celebrities you adore can ever inspire you.

It's a very sad thing that you won't get it.

Lady GaGa is not a celebrity but an artist and art cannot be understood by everyone.

God bless you.

on Oct. 13 2010 at 7:21 am

I respect your opinion, but you dont understand exactly what lady gaga is trying to say.

your probably some popular prep girl who's daddy buys her everything and is disgusted by anyone who wants to be different.

You see that ^. I just made a complete ass of myself by saying that, because i assumed. (please dont take that seriously, it was just for example)

What you posted was very well researched, but an assumption. You assume that because she loves to dress up, and because her music is is about risque subjects, and because shes actually trying to help the youth of America, that she is bad, or more so, that you dont like her.

Here's another shocker, i dont like her for her music, her videos, her costumes, or any of that stuff. I love her for who she is. Our youth needs somebody like her, and while your scoffing at that statement, hear me out, like i heard you.

Lets talk about the 5 or more deaths in the LB GT community. Lets talk about the deaths caused by bullying. Lets talk about the disrespect we have for each other. Not one single person stepped up to try and change that until gaga came along, and her ways of changing all of that might not be your "forte", but every single day she tries to change it, and you cant deny her that. I'm sorry if you dont like her, but i absolutely adore her and that will never change. She has given me more hope then any other person in my life, and i will continue to respect her until the day she dies, and even after that.

No one is forced to like her, and you really dont have to like her, but I'm just telling you that she really is only trying to help, it may be hidden in her sequins and high heels, but its defiantly there. Just look a little harder.

Ellawind PLATINUM, Seattle, Washington

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger.

Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game.

Dream like you will live forever, live like you will die today.

This is amazing! So true! Whenever I've been asked about her I've tried to explain why I dislike her, but you have phrased my feelings better than I could have imagined. Glad I'm not the only one. Awesome job!

Lady Gaga said...

My name is Stefani Joanne Angelina Germanotta, also known as Lady Gaga. I am deeply insulted by your article and all I can say is that I appreciate all my little monsters who love my music and my creations. Bless you,

Gaga

boston418 SILVER, Weymouth, Massachusetts

"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." -Jim Eliot

RIGHT ON!  I'm passing this on.  SO well said!

TiwiniS said...
I love your article and I give it 5 stars!!!!! You are a very thoughful person!!! Keep going in that direction!

Girl, are you really only 16?!? You are amazing!!    Your thoughts were clear, and you are absolutely right! Kudos to you :-)

tomorrowdarling SILVER, Braselton, Georgia
and i agree with you as well. i don't have a problem with her at all but after i read this it gave me a different outlook on her :] DEFINITELY great writing :] mad props ;]

MaskedCellist GOLD, Saratoga, California
this was outstanding, I totally agree, although I still think the tune is catchy, I've always had a hard time liking the songs because of why they were made and what the lyrics contain.

I totally agree with this article! :]

It's a good point you brought up in your article, that life isn't all about looks and materials. There's more to life than just those.

Well done!!

Marlyre PLATINUM, Kalamazoo, Michigan

"when you cry, do you waste your tears?" Madonna

the support for your argument is wonderful! i couldnt agree more! How are we supposed to make it in this world? according to her it would be "put on a meat dress..."

ClauClau said...
ClauClau, Willemstand, Other

"There's nothing more constant than change"

Jen920, you couldn't be more right about the things you're saying, and that's why I think making a statement in her favour is in order. I think in the beginning, When she released Poker face and all the other songs in that album, she was true to her purpose. As she liked the attention, she continued to mutate, resulting in "Telephone". I think at that point, she was already bewitched by her own purpose, becomming a fanatic to an unaccepted fact: "There will always be people that will judge you by your appearance" and as much as you say that you don't care, at a certain point you do. One thing Lady Gaga did in my life, was showing me it's allright to be yourself, only as everything else in this life, the extremes are always bad.

That's what I think anyway.

NiaraStorm said...
NiaraStorm, Greenwood Village, Colorado

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.

Edward Abbey

Wow! This is awesome.

And I agree with you 100% on this, because there truly is more to life than looks and none of us should look to people who only value looks.

Ooh hating on a popstar... bold...

welcome to the world of a metalhead.

ngl00 said...

PS... I agree with medina d.

you should be a crtic someday and i thought it was bold that you could go aginst the peer pressure nd express your feelings. :-)

ngl00 said...

im glad somebody finally realized what she is saying in her songs!! Everyone likes her , but dont really realize the message she is trying to put out there...

Anyways, i thought your review was awesome...   :-)

clumsy_one123 SILVER, Brentwood, Tennessee

"All daring starts from within." -Eudora Welty

oh my gosh THANK YOU. i thought i was the only 16 year old girl who hated lady gaga.

and to those who say shes a great inspiration and example to other girls... inspiration to do what? sing songs with dirty lyrics and wear slutty clothes? i dont think thats the kind of "inspiration" girls need.

scoot413 said...
I get what you're trying to tell us and i understand how u feel! But, i think what gaga's trying to do is to give off inspiration to other girls. It can go either way! great story!

thelastharpy SILVER, Granby, Connecticut

"Love is selfless--and it's requited. Anything less is merely glorified infatuation."

This made me smile so much! I'm glad someone finally gets it. <3

Amnoona BRONZE said...
on Oct. 7 2010 at 7:51 am
Amnoona BRONZE, Bridgeport, Illinois
1 article 1 photo 10 comments
???.......