If Beauty is Skin Deep, These Models and Celebrities Are Ugly

Teenage years are often characterized by self-image and self-esteem problems. But what really fuels these feelings? Is it really just a lack of confidence or is it the media’s portrayal of Hollywood’s actors, actresses, singers, and models? The faces that sweep the media are not only strikingly beautiful, but overly thin. Being skinny is like an epidemic that has swept televisions and magazines across the globe, but unfortunately there seems to be no cure. Because of these images that we encounter regularly, pretty and skinny become synonymous with each other. Young girls are forced to think that starving themselves is the only way to become attractive. This outlook on life is psychologically harmful and physically detrimental. Anorexia and bulimia become normal in a society that is striving to be slender. The media has forced us to view ourselves under microscopes and make us believe that our bodies are not perfect the way they are. Stomach, love handles, thighs – they all seem to be too big in such a “small” world.

FaeNotMyNameThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
All I'm doing is stating my own opinion: the main trigger for eating disorders is NOT the media, contrary to what so many people think nowadays. Coming from someone who knows. And this 'overly thin' thing is more subjective than anything else, unless you meet certain medical criteria. Yes, I think many faces plastered across different medias represent people that ARE hurting themselves by not maintaining a higher, more normal, body weight. But then again, it's none of our busines... (more »)

youveleftmespeechless said...
Being skinny is NOT an epidemic. Obesity is WAY more of a problem. In fact, being skinny in itself isn't an epidemic or a disease or a problem. Having an eating disorder is. There is a difference between the two. It's articles like these that make people associate eating disorders with jut plain being healthy. And young girls aren't "forced" to think anything. They're influenced, sure, but it's not brainwash. I agree with what you're trying to say to some extent, but I think your arguments are f... (more »)

misswindsor replied...
Jun. 28, 2011 at 9:21 pm :
I disagree with everything you're saying. Obesity is not as much as troublesome as it used to be, because everyone is trying to reach 120 or 98 pounds. And yes, I do think that young girls are force into thinking stuff. If you a little girl you learn from your parents and like the world around you. So if a little girl see celebrities on tv who weighs like 98 pounds they're going to be like, "mommy I want to be like her." If you saw your role model wearing a tee you like, you probably going to be... (more »)

Claire_Milan said...
I agree. I think that young teens (and especially girls) put too much focus on today's media and it has distorted their minds and the image they have of themselves.