Rated-R for Ridiculous

By , boston, MA
Have you ever seen a preview for a movie that looks really good but is rated-R R? And when you ask your Mom or Dad if you can see it they automatically say “no” just because of its rating? Well maybe that movie didn’t deserve to be rated-R. Maybe it got the rating that it did for someone dropping the f bomb a few times or a brief nude scene. In the current American rating system, there are some rules that I think are very unfair.

When a movie is rated-R, it has one or more of the following: Adult themes, adult activity, strong language, strong violence, and nudity. If a movie is rated-R for violence, the assumption is that if a kid sees it, he might think violence is okay and tries to hurt someone. That’s understandable. If it has adult activity, a kid might see it and be disturbed by it or not understand. I can also see why some people might be worried about that. But if a movie is rated-R for language? The kid might say it somewhere else and shock someone somewhere. But is that really as bad as trying to shoot someone?

My other problem with the ratings system is the nudity rule. I mean I can understand why something would be rated-R if it has hard sexual themes. But if you’re just seeing someone naked, it’s not that big a deal. There are paintings of naked people in art museums. You don’t have to be over 17 to see those.

One movie I saw that didn’t deserve to be rated-R was Milk. It had swears and a few sugusestive themes. There were 2 deaths but one was off camera and the other wasn’t too bloody. Milk was about Harvey Milk, the first openly gay politician. It’s a very inspiring story that everyone should see, even if you’re fewer than 17.

What I’m trying to say, is that people make too big a deal aout of things that can be shocking, but not harmful. Things that just make someone slightly shocked do not deserve an R-rating. The rating “R” meaning restricted, means that kids will be badly influenced or mentally disturbed. Not slightly shocked.

ChickenLegHouseThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. said...
I don't agree with you at all. Every R movie I've seen I feel diserved it ( for the most part) and I wouldn't want my little sisters to get anywhere near them untill they're quiet a bit older. That isn't to say that I think kids should be super sheltered ether, that'll just mess them up, but they should get to be a kid for a good long time. I'm also personly not offended by swearing, but lots of people are and parents are going to wa... (more »)

Philosophication This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 6:21 pm:
Another example of an unwarrented "R" rating was The King's Speech. It was a great film about two great men, and overcoming adversity. The only reason that it is trated "R" is for the fact that in the middle, one of the actors open fires with various swears. However, from personal experience, I know that most, if not all, of these words can be heard spouted from many mouths at your average school. Silly.

ZadaRox101This teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 31, 2010 at 8:04 am:
Honestly I entirely disagree with you. I'm sick of people acting like it's ok for a ten year old to be using the f-word or s-word. I'm sick of it being oh well they're going to hear it anyways so what's the big deal? It is a big deal. We as Americans used to see it as a big deal. Did you know that when "Gone w/ the wind" came out, families refused to see it because it said "I really don't give a damn"? People used to have morals, but the past twenty years or so have entirely degraded these moral... (more »)

LexiB replied...
Oct. 30, 2010 at 8:00 am :
Thank You!!! I totally agree! whenever I'm around kids that are sixteen, seventeen, there is constant swearing. I mean, sure, there is pretty much no escaping being around it, but that shouldn't be an excuse to swear anyway. I think it is up to the parents   to  screen childrens' (yes, even teens') movies if they might be innapropriate. Media really affects peole. ;)

FilmMajor16 replied...
Mar. 20, 2011 at 7:01 pm :
But kids do hear curse words really early.  It might not be okay for them to say them, but they do hear them.  Rating a movie just for language is ridiculous.  The descriptor says its rated for language, so don't let a kid watch it at that point.  However, kids do hear the words in real life, and there's no escaping that, so smart parents would remind their kids that just because they hear them doesn't mean they can say them.  And if parents remember to do that, their ki... (more »)

Philosophication This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 6:17 pm :
But kids are going to hear these words at school, possibly from their peers, who will have a greater effect on them than a movie. For language, the rating system can be a bit silly. On the subject of nudity, however, the rating system should apply. Children should not be exposed to THAT until they are old enough, though it can be hard to tell how old is old enough.

TheJustThis teenager is a 'regular' and has contributed a lot of work, comments and/or forum posts, and has received many votes and high ratings over a long period of time. This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 29, 2011 at 8:03 pm :

So because kids will hear it from school and everywhere else, it doesn't really matter that a movie cusses? But it does matter if nudity is shown? What if a child's mom is a slut? What if they're exposed to that at home? Then does it still matter when it comes to movies? What about sex? They'll hear about sex and be pressured into sex by their peers? Does that mean a film shouldn't be rated higher simply because they'll know about it and possibly do it from peers?

Does it still apply t... (more »)

Star717 said...
Dec. 26, 2009 at 12:08 am:
I did a project about the ratings system and how it needs to be changed for English. I believe that Rated R is a tool used by studios to get people in to see their movie because of it's content, when in reality it isn't shocking.

Healing_Angel This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Sept. 16, 2010 at 10:45 pm :

I can understand people being worried about the effect of foul language on kids, but they hear it everyday in society, so they are exposed to it. I don't see what the problem is. 

About the nudity: What parent would take their 3 or 4 year old to see a nude picture on purpose? It shouldn't matter, as long as they are told the truth, instead of being told something stupid.