Miley Cyrus: The Not So Innocent Teen

For years, we’ve seen respected and well-known celebrities crack under pressure and turn to drugs and alcohol to make them feel better. It wasn’t a big shock when Britney Spears and Lindsey Lohan both fell into states of no return and watching Shakira’s and Lady Gaga’s music videos get racier weren’t unexpected either. But no one could predict that Miley Cyrus would soon follow.

Miley Cyrus started in the business with her popular kids show, Hannah Montana. She took up singing and used her show to publicize her voice. Miley has been a role model for many young kids of various ages. They are devoted to watch her show every week, buy all her lasts albums, and watch her music videos so they can dance along. It seemed as though Ms. Cyrus liked performing for the younger crowd; and everything was always made child-appropriate, until now.

Miley’s new hit single has a great beat, catchy words, and is easy to dance to. But that’s where all the good ends. Looking at the cover of the CD case, you are confused as to why she is posed the way she is. Thinking back to her other covers, you realize that she usually just sits or sings while smiling at the camera. But now that she’s older, it seems as though that’s too simple for Ms. Cyrus. On her new cover, Miley is posed with her hand on her hip that is sticking out, her hair covering half of her face; and she’s looks as if she’s trying to look sexy. Though this isn’t that bad nor is it that obvious if you were to just glance at it. When you see her music video, you realize that Miley Cyrus is no longer the sweet and innocent girl who appears on TVs across the United States.
The music video for Party in the U.S.A. takes place in a parking lot, at a playground, and on a stage. In the parking lot, Miley gets out of her car; and you notice that she is not dressed appropriately. She sports a brown tank top with her push-up bra sticking out of the top, jeans shorts, a studded belt, and an open black vest. Throughout the video, her backup dancers, as well as herself, are dressed tastelessly. The backup dancers wear shirts revealing their midriffs, shorts that are way too short, small tank tops, and bra-like shirts. It doesn’t seem that bad until you remember that Miley is a role model for young kids, not teenagers who dress like that.
The dancing is a major indicator that Miley Cyrus is no longer aiming to please a young audience. Throughout the entire video, she is leaning against walls and cars with ‘attitude’ and is constantly running her hands through her hair to get the ‘just out of bed’ look. While in the playground setting, Miley is on a swing while backup dancers pole dance. Children play at the park everyday; and if they see that kind of dancing, they will want to imitate it; and they wouldn’t even know that what they were doing was wrong. Some other badly chosen dance moves include the shaking of the hips in a tasteless manner, ‘dropping low’ as they now call it, and some brief grinding.
All of the things that happen in this music video shows that Miley is no longer aiming to please children and that parents of young kids should make sure that her music and videos are appropriate before their children listen/watch it. Who knows what she’ll do next? Miley Cyrus is slowly working her way to becoming the next Britney Spears.

CtArisa19 said...
Feb. 1, 2012 at 12:43 pm:
Lets understand something, Miley Cyrus is an adult. We can't expect her to stay 12 years old. Yes she was a role model thats true but people have to grow up. I'm not justifying some of the things she did but come on lets be realistic here she's an adult let her make her own decisions

SuperiorMischief replied...
Feb. 10, 2013 at 6:11 pm :
Exactly my thoughts.I hate it when people criticize adult celebrities for their choices.

BlueFoot This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
I challenge you to name one Entertainer that started out clean pop and stayed that way. For one, little kids aren't gonna keep watching singers in their late twentys and they have to adapt to their new older target audience. It happened to J timberlake, Christina Aguilara, Brittney,.. Dont be surprised when the Jonas boys turn to the dark side.

TheJust This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jan. 14, 2011 at 11:44 am :
Challenge received. The Beach Boys (parents generation); Hilary Duff (our generation).

JustinBieberGirl14 replied...
Feb. 14, 2011 at 11:29 am :
Its okay that Miley`s growing up, but there was no warning for her young fan base.  And also, i dont likie her because she is mean to fans that ask her for pictures, like me.  If you are doing a concert and see a fan who asks for a picture, you should at least smile.

peaceandlove said...
yeah, i don't like how her new song "can't be tamed" i feel the same way. im having a hard time figuring out how "growing up" means you have to act wild and dress inappropriately. its very sad.

emoZoey said...
May 28, 2010 at 5:33 pm:
OMFG!! u r rite..but here is the question i keep hearing at school...is miley cyrus pregnant? if you can plz do an article about this if you already haven't thx =) <3

ZadaRox101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. replied...
Jun. 19, 2010 at 8:00 pm :
no she's not. I heard that rumor too, but I can't find anything about it anywhere. If she was, it would have blown up like the jamie lynn spears thing...

ZadaRox101 This work has been published in the Teen Ink monthly print magazine. said...
May 10, 2010 at 12:42 pm:
Unfortunatly, "Can't Be Tamed" is five times worse....

MessyJessie said...
May 4, 2010 at 6:22 pm:

It's strange that nobody notices the trend. Britney Spears and Lindsey Lohan were both child actresses that face a troubling experience growing from child to adult. Now Miley Cyrus. 

america should look at the cold hard truth and see that child actors will not always be children. and that when they finally choose to grow up they go at it the wrong way, by resolving to drugs, alcohol, and sex.

booklover/writer said...
OMG. I just watched the video, and it was so inapropriate!

Mar. 5, 2010 at 9:00 pm:
I've already seen the pole dancing and it's scary.....very good article.

bbcourtstar replied...
Mar. 6, 2010 at 6:48 pm :
Thanks. It really means a lot when someone who has no idea who I am likes my pieces. It shows that I actually am a good writer.

Mar. 6, 2010 at 8:30 pm :
Oh, and you are. Very good. :)