Role Models | Teen Ink

Role Models

By el-oh-el PLATINUM, Maloney Gardens, Other
el-oh-el PLATINUM, Maloney Gardens, Other

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.
-Marianne Williamson

What are role models? A role model is someone whom others look up to, who they aspire to be like. The way you would think of your role model is the same way you think of a crush. With a crush you will stop at nothing for them to take notice of you and when it comes to a role model it's exactly the same and to make them aware you want to be just like them; do everything they do, say what they say, eat what they eat etc.
I know for a fact that Miley Cyrus is a role model to many little girls, why she herself is a little girl. I do not like Miley Cyrus, okay I don't know her personally but neither do any of the little girls who want to be like her. This is not about liking her show or her music, which I do in fact like. This is about the fact that she is such a terrible role model. The clothes she wears, the things she does, it is not becoming of such an iconic role model.
Frankly I think she is rather irresponsible and selfish when it comes to being a role model. Sure you're allowed to have your own life and do whatever you like but as a celebrity you will have no privacy and as a role model you should take it upon yourself to act a certain way when the cameras are near. Now I realize that would make her a hypocrite but it's better than what she already is.
What she does on her personal time is her business. What she wears on her personal time is her business.It however becomes everyone's business when it is caught on tape. I would like to refer to the 2009 Kids Choice Awards, her attire and dance routine was totally inappropriate.
The title of the awards show is a clear give away f=of the targeted audience. As a role model it is not becoming of her to have her to have her bust exposed and neither is it becoming for her to be dancing on a pole. When I saw it the first thing that came to mind was, "Stripper". Honestly. What kind of message is she sending for her little admirers?
The reason I am mentioning this is because their are many little Miley wannabes out there and I would not like to see a little five year old dressed in a tight mini skit wearing a top that has all her chest exposed. Note I never said that is what Miley Cyrus was wearing.
It is most certainly not the first occasion but it is the most recent I am aware of.
The point is this, to each and every celebrity, you can do whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want, with whom ever you want, wherever you want but just not on camera especially if you're a role model.

This is not a bashing of Miley Cyrus or anything. Their are many other bad celebrity role models.

Also I do realize that the parents should be held accountable for what their children wear.

on Mar. 28 2011 at 6:26 pm
HikariLight BRONZE, Austell, Georgia

"You don't have three lives to live--what is this, Mario?" By me.

This is TOO TRUE. I totally agree, but for your writing:

I spotted a mistake twice.

You used 'their' incorrectly twice, when you should've used THERE. Their is possessive, remember! I don't know if that was a typo or not, but just trying to help. Love your opinion.